cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrictions Apply - Must be connected to you home network

andypgilbert
Joining in

I'm getting `Restrictions Apply - this program can only be watched whilst you are connected to your home network. Code :E=8 V=1` when using the TV Control on a android TV device when connected via either net cable.

If I use Wi-Fi, then I can watch my recordings but I'm getting buffering issues, hence I want to use hard wired option.

I've registered the android device via the TV go app and can watch any station that is in my package via hard wired and Wi-Fi.

The TV Control app can so my V6 box and let me select channels to watch or any of my recorded shows, but I get the above message when trying to then play them.

V6 box and HUB have been restarted. My V6 box is on the same network as all other devices in my house when in Wi-Fi mode and hard wired mode so that isn't the issue. Android apps uninstalled and installed many times while in Wi-Fi mode and hard wired mode.

When installing the TV Control android app in Wi-Fi mode, it finds my V6 box and asks me if I want to setup streaming, which I do and all works expect poor Wi-Fi strength for streaming, but installing the TV Control app in hard wire mode, I'm not given this option but it can see my V6 box to navigate around options but no playback of shows.

Has anyone got any bright ideas as I'm at a loss?

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Streaming of recordings is only allowed to mobile devices (phones & tablets). VMs agreement with the broadcasters does not allow casting or otherwise connecting any other type of device. So whether something like a smart TV has an android system or not, you will not be able to stream recordings to it. 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

So you are saying when connected via Wi-fi, I can watch my recordings from my Android device but when it's hard wired its' restricted. That doesn't make sense. The device is on my home network which is the important thing here and not the way it's connected. Surely this is wrong and there is an issue?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In order to stream recordings at home, the device you're watching on needs to be on the same network as your TV box.

You can verify this is the case by looking in your router, and the first 3 blocks of the IP address for both devices are the same - only the 4th block will differ.

I'm not clear from your post if this is the case, or not.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi, yes my Android device is on the same network, I checked that before the post.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In which case, if you're trying to view these recordings over an internet-connected TV then you may be getting lucky when connected over WiFi but the restrictions are correctly working on wired.

Although the obvious follow-on is to suggest connecting the TV to your TV box via an HDMI lead. That's what VM's TV boxes are designed to do.