cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Control app not fully connection on iOS

VWsplitUK
Tuning in

My iPhone and iPad both see a fully up to date list of the programmes I’ve recorded on my virgin box. They even see how much of any programme I’ve watched on the virgin box, and asks if I want to resume from there. The play arrow is greyed out though, and when tapped, I get the ‘Out of home streaming is not permitted’ error,

Also, the ‘info’ and ‘remote control’ icons are both showing exclamation marks next to them. When tapped, the ‘Home network is required’ error appears, asking if I want to Re-scan. I do this and nothing happens. No rescanning. Just thrown back into the main screen area.

All the time this happens, I am receiving full WiFi connection, sitting right next to my virgin router.

If I try this on the same Virgin remote control app on my daughter’s Android tablet, everything works fine. No problems whatsoever, so it appears to be a problem purely with the Apple version of your app.

These issues seemed to start happening right after the app last update, so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it. Just look at the most recent reviews on the Apple App Store and you’ll get a bit of an idea.

I’ve spoken to virgin services a number of times and been passed through lots of different advisors, and none have been able to provide any help whatsoever.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been trying to get this sorted for months now.

10 REPLIES 10

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello VWsplitUK

Thanks for taking the time to make us aware of the problems you're experiencing with the Control App.

We aren't aware of any specific issues with the iOS version of the application, we'd recommend ensuing both your iOS version and the Control App version are both up to date, I appreciate you mentioned this seems to have happened after the last update but it's always worth checking if there is a newer version. If so, we'd also recommend uninstalling and re-installing the application.

Let us know if this helps.

Rob

Hi there.

I am indeed already running the latest version of iOS (14.6) and the latest version of the Virgin Remote Control app on both the iOS devices I have. 
I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no success whatsoever. 
I look forward to hearing how else you can help 

Kind regards, Paul

Thanks for replying, we're unable to replicate this on our iOS devices. can you provide the app version number? 

No problem.

Its v.4.6.2(1380288) on iPhone and iPad.

Have you had any further progress with regard to solving this issue?

Just as a bit of further reading and to support the fact that this isn't an isolated issue, here's a small selection of the most recent reviews on the Apple App Store (Taken from the start of 2021 onwards)...

-------------------------

mpat2u ,
18/02/2021
Not working on iPad

It was working on iPad a long time ago but this last year, after a few updates it stopped working completely. You can record shows, but that’s it. There’s no way to watch these shows on the iPad even if you can see them under “my shows”.

-----

Pestilence667 ,
30/04/2021
I wouldn’t even give it a 1 star

This has to be the worst app I have ever come across, if it’s not connection problems, it’s not keeping up with the current time on the program guide. Also functionality of the app is spotty at best, what was working in the last version now doesn’t.

-----

LozBlanko ,
21/04/2021
Taken a step backwards unfortunately

The app is OK and does some things reasonably well.

However, the most useful thing about it was the Wi-Fi remote control and unfortunately, that is now a mess.

It also fails to connect most of the time making it 90% useless. It’s good to set your programmes to record remotely but that’s about it.

-----

Amkasa772 ,
16/02/2021
This app used to be great. Being able to control your tv from you phone, see what’s on, and record what you want.

Now the remote function isn’t working as it refuses to connect to your box. When trying to scroll down the listings it just goes “connecting” and jumps back to the start.

It’s not worth installing until it’s fixed. What a shame.

----

Blooeyespete ,
15/03/2021
Virgin TV app

What have you done ! Open my shows it’s just a mess. I’m unsure of what episode to watch as it’s all the same. Also I’ve started getting a message saying I need reconnecting to my box as I’m on a different network ?

----

Tyzot ,
04/01/2021
Stopped working - Now useless

Used to be a really good app. but following an update I have the same issue that others have seen. Can see the box from my iPad but can't watch anything anymore. Tried speaking to Virgin Technical support in India and they were completely useless.

----

Nutmeg-123 ,
27/02/2021
Tv Control

Worked just fine before update, was able to watch my recorded programs on my IPad but now I can’t even open it, just says network error, what’s happening guys! Have now deleted the app and reinstalling it in the hope it will restart fingers crossed.

----

damo3266 ,
16/01/2021
Remote control no longer works since iOS update

Worked fine but since iOS update remote control option no longer works.

----

Mike77graham ,
26/03/2021
Wont connect

This app was always pretty poor given I have to be connect to home WiFi to use it. Following the update though it won’t even find my box so is completely pointless. Maybe it’s time to go back to sky.

----

chigsk ,
02/02/2021
Doesn’t work

Can’t find box useless

----

Paul28799 ,
13/01/2021
App not finding trio box after iOS update

App not connecting to tv box, network rebooted signed in and out, also tried on other devices so possibly your pp needs updating again please?

---------------------------------

I could find many more. I just got bored ;o)

Please can you look into this and hopefully solve an issue that's clearly being experienced by quite a number of folks.

Kind regards,

Paul.

Thanks for coming back to us @VWsplitUK.

I would like to take a further look into this for you but would need to confirm some information with you to be able to look into this and raise with our IT team to be looked into in more detail.

I will drop the private message over in a moment and we can get started.

Regards,

Steven_L

Thanks for confirming your details via private message @VWsplitUK.

I need some further details to be able to log this with the team. 

- Device Model 

- Device OS 

- Any error messages that you get trying to use the app.

Is the app version this v.4.6.2(1380288) you are running?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi there,

Thanks again for getting back. The devices I am experiencing these issues with are:

iPhone XSMax, iPhone 6S plus, iPad 8th Gen.

All devices are fully updated with the latest operating system and virgin app.

The error I receive when attempting to use the remote control feature is the “A Home network is Required” one, which just returns you straight back to the main screen when pressing to Re-Scan button.

The error I receive when trying to stream recorded content to my device is the “ out of home streaming is not permitted“ one.

This happens exactly the same on all of my Apple iOS devices, whilst the app works perfectly on my daughter’s android device. All the time these errors are given these devices are on the same Wi-Fi network as the box, and has good connection.

Many thanks for any further help you can offer,

Paul

Thanks for confirming the request details @VWsplitUK.

I have now raised this with our IT support team to have this investigated further, I will get back in touch with you as soon as the team have come back to me.

Regards,

Steven_L