cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound on recordings on TV Go

dancraig1
Tuning in

Hi,

I have been experiencing the same over the last few weeks. I have Virgin 360 and had recorded some programs on Sky F1.

When I watch these back on the latest TV Go iPad app I get no sound. Live streams work well

Thanks 

25 REPLIES 25

During playback tap anywhere on the screen to reveal the menus.

Tap the most central icon toward the top right.

Select audio channel “English 2”

Once the tick is on the right selection click “Done” at the top right of the selection box.

That’s all there is to it.

But…. Be prepared to repeat these steps every time you play or restart play of an HD recording.

KerryT
On our wavelength

Thank you that seems to work 👍

I’m having the same issue but this didn’t work any other ideas? 

geogfrog
On our wavelength

Apologies. I hadn’t tapped ‘done’ that works now! Thank you. 

Yes, that caught me out too.

The interface is close to normal for an iPad/iOS app.  But it isn't quite what you expect in some areas.

Requiring these extra confirmation actions is one of them.

Sadly, because its going to be needed a lot, you are not likely to forget it any time soon.

Thanks for confirming that you have both been able to resolve the issue @spedwards and @geogfrog.

Please let us know if you have any further issues with your services.

Regards,

Steven_L

Nope @Steven_L, you are wrong.

None of us have "resolved" this issue. We just have a workaround that we continue to suffer with.

The pain is lessened, but it has definitely not been "solved".

I was rather hoping that someone would raise a bug report with Virgin as I tried to do with my reporting. But I see no evidence of activity intended to solve the issue.

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @spedwards

I'm sorry to hear this, I appreciate this is very frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

To confirm, once you've done the above suggestion, does this resolve the sound issues indefinitely? Or is this a step you need to repeat? 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

spedwards
On our wavelength

Why do I have to keep repeating the same information?

I wrote the following line in the workaround post above...and I have tried to explain this in multiple posts here.

"But…. Be prepared to repeat these steps every time you play or restart play of an HD recording."

It is just a workaround. It renders playback possible, but painful.

Right, let me explain it once again.

Every time you playback any HD recording stream from the 360 box you have to start the initial playback, then pause it to reset the audio channel. That audio channel reset only lasts for that one resumption of playback. Not for the whole time that you playback that recording!

Let me rephrase that: It will only last for the whole time that you playback that recording if the initial playback works perfectly and is not paused and re-started!

Sometimes this after-audio-change re-start creates a lag between video and audio, which can only be "cured" by going back a few seconds, which has the effect of causing a playback re-start. At this point you might still hear sound. Otherwise you must go back to the start of the sequence and reset the audio again. You can go around in loop at this point.

In one of my posts I mentioned that once learnt you'll never forget the audio selection sequence. I do mean that because:-

• On initial playback, reset the audio after starting the playback.
  • If you are interrupted and pause then re-start playback, reset the audio after re-starting the playback.
  • If buffering occurs for too long, after the re-start occurs it may go silent. Reset the audio yet again.
  • If audio gets out of synch with picture, rewind a bit, pres play, reset the audio after re-starting the playback.

It does this because every time you pause, or go back to re-start the playback it auto-selects "English 1", even though that channel is silent.

You will do this an awful lot of times if you record any HD program series and then try to use TV GO.

Don't take my word for any of this. Try it yourself.

Then see how long it is before you turn to ignoring your saved HD recordings and start using any Online Streaming service that you can find to let you watch the programs that you had already saved.

This issue appears to be limited to iPhone and iPad apps. It doesn't appear to affect Android apps.  Although I only have one Android device to try that on so my test sample there is small.

I have only recently moved to Virgin. Since then I have had to buy extra hardware to allow the Virgin 360 to connect to my LG TV via hdmi. I don't want to also have to buy extra Android tablets just to watch Virgin TV Go. 

Thank you so much for sharing this "workaround" 

I agree with you Virgin need to find a fix

Thanks

Kul