Menu
Daveyk
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Latest version of skysports desktop player

I have just tried to watch sky sports. I have watched for sometime using the new skysports desktop player, but I was instructed to down the latest version of the player tonight. When I did this my antivirus program (Kaspersky) said that there was a Trojan in the new player software and deleted the program.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so what is the remedy for it?

0 Kudos
Daveyk
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latest version of skysports desktop player

I am replying to my own question!

After having spent an unproductive hour or so with Virgin during which I was put through to the technical gadget team, who wanted £25 to try and sort the problem (which is a Sky problem) I contacted Sky direct who were quick and incredibly helpful. I spent an hour with a person from their technical team who was determined to sort the problem for me even though I was not a direct Sky customer. Anyway he tried to download the latest skysports player on his computer which was also running Kaspersky anti virus software and he had the same problem as I did. Eventually I think we solved the problem by turning off the Kaspersky virus protection software and then downloading the new player using Internet Explorer (rather than Microsoft Edge). I then had to right click the skysports desktop shortcut and run the program as Administrator. I then had to turn Kaspersky on again which I did with no problems experienced. This worked and the updated program is now properly installed on my laptop.

However, I still can't watch Sky Sports on my laptop because my device changes have been used up. Somehow and independent of anything I had done my laptop as a device was exchanged for a MAC - which I don't have and I had tried deleting and replacing the MAC a couple of times before the fix. This is device settling is a problem that I have experienced before and which Virgin had sorted for me, So I rang Virgin again and they say it's now a problem with my virgin browser (superhub 2) and they have promised to send me an updated one (superhub 3) which will cure the problem apparently. So I have to wait a week or so before I can know for sure whether or not I will be able to watch skysports! Very frustrating but I hope this helps anyone who has similar problems downloading the new updated new skysports player with their computer running Kaspersky Total Security!

@Daveyk wrote:

I have just tried to watch sky sports. I have watched for sometime using the new skysports desktop player, but I was instructed to down the latest version of the player tonight. When I did this my antivirus program (Kaspersky) said that there was a Trojan in the new player software and deleted the program.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so what is the remedy for it?

0 Kudos
nikkilevel27
Joining in
Message 3 of 31
Flag for a moderator

I'm having this issue too. But I'm using the superhub 3.

0 Kudos
Daveyk
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nikki,

Are you referring to a problem with a device change - i.e. the device change page say that you have reached the limit of your allowed device changes this month (but you have not made any changes)? If so, you will need to give Virgin Media a ring to ask them to give you more device changes this month. They should be able to do that without any problem.

If it's a problem with Kaspersky's antivirus software blocking the Sky Sports player update installation then please note that I was told yesterday by Sky that they have been speaking to Kaspersky to resolve the issue and as a result Kaspersky have updated their software and thus if you download the latest Kaspersky database update the problem will not reoccur (hopefully!).

I hope that helps.

Dave 

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Is it working properly yet?  Hasn't worked on my Toshiba PC since it was introduced.  Did work on my HP laptop, but cancelled Sky Sports a month ago and moved to Now TV which works on both.

0 Kudos
Daveyk
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 31
Flag for a moderator

No not yet. I'm waiting for a superhub 3 to be fitted (next Friday) so I can get another device change. It looks as though the updated player has been properly installed. 

The new player worked fine before the update.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rose_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 31
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Daveyk,

Thanks for posting.

I'd just like to check how things have been since your post?

Another device change has been added for you so please let me know if you're still experiencing problems.

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Daveyk
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rose,

Thanks for the Device Change, but I still can't get the player to work. The loading wheel just keeps going round and round.

I have now deleted the original player and then I successfully downloaded the updated player without Kaspersky stopping it, but that hasn't cured the problem.

It hasn't registered the new device, i.e my Windows 10 Laptop.

I'm expecting a delivery of superhub 3 on Friday and suggest that I wait until that is up and running and try again, unless you have any other suggestions.

Thanks for your interest.

Kind regards,

Dave

0 Kudos
Daveyk
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rose,

Well the Superhub 3 has been delivered and is up and running without any problems, thankfully.

However, the updated New Sky Sports Desktop Player still doesn't work unfortunately.

I either get error message: VG-4227858839 or the loading wheel just goes round and round interminably!

I have just spoken to Sky and they tell me that this is a known problem and is being dealt with by Virgin Media's TRAC Team (it's a Virgin Media error code). Apparently they have escalated the issue with Sky. However, Sky were unable to tell me whether or not there has been any progress with it from Virgin Media's side. Sky say that they are not doing anything about it for the moment because the issue will be resolved, along with other problems when they release their new, new sky desktop player in January 2018!

I would be grateful if you could check with the VM TRAC team (or let me know how I can contact them) and let me know if I will just have to wait for the release of the new player in January 2018. If this is so then it is very disappointing as I have often used the sky desktop player in the past to watch the football or cricket on my laptop with earbuds to save my wife to having to watch it!!

I do hope that you can help and look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Dave 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rose_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 31
Flag for a moderator

Hi Daveyk,

Thanks for keeping me updated.

I have just forwarded this on to to be investigated so once I have more information for you then I'll be back in touch.

Speak soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos