cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every device called My Computer - Google Chrome - unacceptable

whamer999
Tuning in

Hi all

It's SO frustrating that every device is called My Computer - Google Chrome within Device Management.

Virgin, you must give us more information to go on - a registration date, a last used date, a MAC ID, or literally anything to identify which device is which.

When I'm given the option to name a device I always do, but the problem is that this option isn't always offered. And as we can't rename them, we can't rename the current device either.

It's utter madness - I've seen many forum posts where you tell us this feature isn't available and that just isn't an acceptable answer.

We need either more information, or, the ability to rename the current device.  Paying £80/month and we can't even tell which of our devices are which.

Not only this but on devices I know I have registered before and then a new registration is used and another My Computer - Google Chrome comes up yet again.

device management.JPG

24 REPLIES 24

arrgee1991
Problem sorter

Agreed. This needs amending.  It’s impossible to know which device to replace. Could also go a long way to resolving problems with duplicate devices.

Same here, TV Go works fine on Android phone and tablet.

On Win10 PC via browser - Edge as listed as supported - or the Virgin TV Go app a new device " My Computer - Google Chrome" is detected every visit.

So I now have 5 devices, 3 of which are 'My Computer - Google Chrome' and I still can't watch anything on the PC! I have 'too many devices' already and can't make changes for a month.

Hi Pabloxyz99, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Really sorry you're having this issue and for the delay in getting back in touch. 

Google Chrome should only appear as one device, however if you clear your cache and cookies or open it on multiple tables it can appear as more than one. 

So I'd advise not doing this and it should go back to one device once it's reset at the end of the month.

Emma_C - Forum Team

Joanna_VMC
On our wavelength

We have multiple MACs using Google Chrome and they all show as My Computer - Google Chrome, but there is no way of knowing which is which.  Furthermore, all of our MACs are named with different names, but this is not picked up by the system.  Can you please include an option where we can simply input the "name" of the device?  I'm sure your system will still keep the relevant data to prevent excess numbers, but why not give us a "comment" field at least where we can add information?  Surely it can't be that hard?

Hi Emma,

I'm using the Virgin app on the pc now and have exactly the same problem; detects the pc as a 'new' device every time so after watching something on 3 occasions I then have too many devices and can't watch TV on the pc for a month.

Paul

aderuk
On our wavelength

Same here and this is with the help of a MOD who cleared me back to zero devices ,I have followed the steps with regards to not clearing cookies in settings but still the same issue. Cannot watch anything on my PC as it keeps saying I need to register the new device, my mobile (android) still works ok at the minute.

My Computer - Google Chrome

Xiaomi Mi 9 Lite

You can watch TV on a maximum of 5 devices, and you can make three device changes each month.

Manage my Sky Devices

aderuk_0-1606646161727.png

Well yipee, the 1st of Dec rolls around and I've now waited long enough so I can change devices! 

But wait....

VAppPC.png

'Device Management' from the PC app; no date, no option to do anything at all in the Virgin app.

Ah, but if I try and watch something I get the option to 'replace a device'
OK, do that
What do I get in device management now?

VAppPC2.png

Terrific, I can watch TV on my PC but if I get 1 more false 'new device' detection it's blocked for another month.

Why no option to remove a device? The Android app just offers replace but I don't want to do that for Android as they work.

Any MODs about to remove my spurious My Computer - Google Chrome devices?

Does someone actually get paid money to write this software?

FWIW this PC doesn't even have Chrome installed.

In addendum to previous the Android app now shows the same 5 devices and can be replaced in 31 days.

I've made 1 change! Just one. What happened to 3 changes per month?

Hi pabloxyz99, the TVGO service is limited to 5 devices. Would you like us to look at resetting these for you? Chris