cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eurosport extra Olympic channels on TV Go

etyek
Tuning in

Hi everyone,

I opened the channel list on TV Go this morning and saw the extra pop-up Eurosport Olympic channels have been added, but despite Eurosport 5 already being live on my cable box, I can't access any of them via TV Go. Are the channels not yet active on TV Go or am I doing something wrong?

12 REPLIES 12

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I can replicate this, so it seems to be a general issue at the moment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @etyek 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issue with your TVGO. 

Are you still able to replicate this issue? I have just tried it on my own TVGO and can't seem to see the channel.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I wonder if this is intentional. I don't recall seeing any advertising or statement from VM that you can stream these channels, only that they're on TV box EPGs. And I don't ever recall being able to stream the BBC's red-button extras via TV-Go, so this could feasibly be similar.

Remember TV-Go on 360 is for "TV Control" as well as "TV on the go". It would be interesting to see if any 360-users can stream from this channel using their TV-Go app, or only set/manage recordings.

@Ernie_C  is the obvious person to be able to test this theory, but a few other VIP users would be able to.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Happy to oblige.

There is no streaming support for TV 360 users, just Control function:

7ECE0879-315D-4738-8DF6-B2A604D56633.jpeg

Of course you could be right to think this may be an intentional omission, but since the Olympics are one of the most likely live events where people will want to watch two things at once, it would be a real shame if Eurosport don’t allow VM customers to watch the extra channels via TV Go.

Obviously Discovery/Eurosport have their own paid subscription service so they perhaps don’t want to offer too much to VM, but given I could watch the temporary channels on my TV and stream regular Eurosport on TV Go, it doesn’t seem to make much sense to prevent me from doing it the other way round 🙂

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be interesting to see whether the additional streams are available via Sky Go's app, there's a couple of people around here who might be able to check. My suspicion is that this is a Eurosport restriction that will affect all platforms. All online references to streaming are about Eurosport's own platform.

Given the, ahem, manner in which these Olympic media rights were awarded to Discovery/Eurosport in the first place, then this probably shouldn't come as a huge surprise.

@japitts wrote:

It would be interesting to see whether the additional streams are available via Sky Go's app, there's a couple of people around here who might be able to check. My suspicion is that this is a Eurosport restriction that will affect all platforms. All online references to streaming are about Eurosport's own platform.

A Sky-subscribing friend just checked Sky Go for me and confirmed the extra channels are available to watch there.

skygo_eurosport_popup_channels.jpg

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Of course, there is a workaround but only if you are wanting to watch at home.

Simply set the channel you want to watch to record and watch it live from the recording.

This problem has still not been fixed almost a week into the Olympics. I get the same problem on Windows and on iOS

In fact, I only realised yesterday that the extra Eurosport channels were available on my TV box.

Not very well publicised by VM.

Regards
Mark