cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certain Youtube videos not loading on wifi in the youtube app.

Robmariawest
On our wavelength

Hi there, I've been having a problem where certain youtube videos won't load on the youtube app on my phone. This happens when connected to wifi and when I switch to mobile data the video plays, but when I reconnect to wifi the video just buffers and will not play. Most videos do play well but certain videos never play on the youtube app. I've tried this on the youtube app on another phone and the same issue arises. Is there any way to fix this? I have tried all of the usual troubleshooting tips (clear cache & data, uninstall, reinstall, log out, reset wifi hub, restart phone etc) and none of them helped. When I use a vpn I no longer have the problem, but that of couse is not a viable option for day to day use.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The issue has now dissappeared somehow so I shall now end the thread. Thank you for the help it is much appreciated.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you get the same problems using the YouTube website on a laptop/PC that's connected to the same router?

I vaguely recall a thread in the networking forum recently, something to do with videos & routing IIRC, but if it's only the app affected, it's probably not worth hunting it out.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The problem only happens when on the youtube app, however I use it frequently so this problem is very annoying.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Bang goes that theory then. Not likely to be a VM routing issue if another device on the same IP doesn't have the same issue.

In that case - which OS is your tablet/device? And is this any specific videos?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

On all of our mobile devices (including 2 iphones and 2 samsungs) I have the problem. So it can't be an operating system problem.

Hi @Robmariawest,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

I am sorry to hear you're having this issue. Have you tried deleting the YouTube app from the device and re-installing to see if that makes any difference?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Like I said in the main post, I have already done this multiple times along with many other common troubleshooting steps and the problem still exists. The problem occurs on all youtube apps (all of our mobile devices) when on wifi (the problem isn't present when on data so definitely something to do with the virgin broadband).

Thanks for your reply and clarifying, we have been unable to replicate this error. Are you able to confirm if you are running any sort or antivirus, firewall or VPN on your home network?

Cheers,

Corey C

No there are no antivirus', firewalls or VPN's on the home network. I turned off the stock virgin media broadband firewall via the hub settings page and this still didn't resolve the issue.

Thank you for confirming this @Robmariawest and I'm so sorry if I'm missing this in earlier posts, but do you notice any issues at all on any other streaming services when connected to the Hub? 

Thanks again.