cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Casting Sky Sports from phone to TV

cass
On our wavelength

I'd like to be able to cast from the Sky Sports app on my phone to a smart TV. Is this possible, or does the app prevent it?

I was thinking of buying a USB-C to HDMI cable to do it, but won't bother if it's not permitted.

4 REPLIES 4

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @cass thanks for your post here in the Community, hoping you are well.

As the app isn't Virgin Media owned, we cannot support on this unfortunately. 

Of course, there's no harm in trying but we can't suggest either way if this will work. What might help before you buy one, is to try casting the Sky Sports app to your Smart TV via a wireless screen share that most Smart Phones/TV's have?

This way, you'll know whether or not casting works before investing in a USB-C to HDMI Cable.

I hope this helps.

Many thanks

Tom_W

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@cass wrote:

I'd like to be able to cast from the Sky Sports app on my phone to a smart TV. Is this possible, or does the app prevent it?

I was thinking of buying a USB-C to HDMI cable to do it, but won't bother if it's not permitted.

It’s highly unlikely Sky will allow this as it would allow illegal TV viewing of their sports channels anywhere. The channels are only licenced to be viewed via a TV at the address a subscription is registered.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I don't believe that the Sky Sports app supports casting but you can screen mirror your mobile to a Chromecast-connected TV.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

I don't believe that the Sky Sports app supports casting but you can screen mirror your mobile to a Chromecast-connected TV.

Even if you screen mirror to a Chromecast connected TV as soon as you try to play live sports from the Sky Sports app you get a message to say External devices not supported.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks