cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCleaner cleans my browser. Now device limit reached.

petergilx
Tuning in

Missed my football match because every time I go to BT Sport, the bloody thing says device not registered, register new device! now I'm blocked from watching even on those registered devices. I thought a device was a particular laptop, phone or tablet, but now as soon as you close your browser, you're blocked out. Help please!

9 REPLIES 9

Client62
Hero

The constant clearing of browser cookies may be exactly what is causing your issue.

You see, that's what you're supposed to do. Cleaning browsers after using them keeps you safe and your computer running nice and fast. My iPad seems to work fine. Whatever browser I happen to use on my laptop, there's still only one screen, it's one device.

The point is, how do I get the device limit reset?

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you wait here patiently, a member of Virgin Media staff can reset for you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The thing is: "If you wait here patiently, a member of Virgin Media staff can reset for you." doesn't work. Resetting the devices will only reset the devices once. Should you happen to have the same problem again, it'll recur. This is my pc, reset it so that when I open the Virgin TV Go app it will allow me to watch the programmes that I'm entitled to watch because I'm in a contract with you. I pay you, you deliver the content.

Are you supposed to log out and not clear the cookies ?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Wiping out all your cookies is "like throwing the baby out with the bathwater".

There are good cookies & bad cookies (the ones that track you). Most browsers now have add-ons you can download that will block these tracking cookies while allowing the others to operate normally & keep all the site functionality you need.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

This issue is not about cleaning cookies.

This is about a normal user being able to use the service for which she/he has paid.

If we use a computer, we subscribe to Virgin Media and have the contractual right by that legal agreement to access Virgin TV Go without hinderance, then surely the withholding of that right is a material breach of the agreement. 

Of course, Virgin Media has it's own legal disclaimers. But perhaps sometimes, VM might just consider doing the right thing rather than the normal thing.

You need to register my single devices, not browsers. And you need to reset my devices now. I've not got a great deal of patience. If I can't watch the programmes that I wish to watch, then the breach becomes the breach.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do deliver the content  however due to the way you are using ccleaner to clear cookies negates the instructions which VM advise you to follow.

Info below from https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/how-to-use-virgin-tv-go-app 

Which devices can I use the Virgin Media TV Go app with?

Virgin TV Go is available for all Virgin TV customers, and is available on iOS, Android, Windows 10, PC and Mac.

Supported computers and browsers

We no longer have a Windows 10 app, but Windows 10 devices can use the website, and install the web app that is offered when visiting the website. To use Virgin TV Go in a browser please ensure you’ve got cookies enabled in your browser, that virginmedia.com is listed as a trusted site, your browser is set to allow protected content, and you allow pop ups from the Virgin TV Go website.

Note: If you register a computer using a browser, you’ll need to use the same browser with Virgin TV Go. Using a different browser, clearing cookies or using incognito mode will be seen as a different device.

CCleaner does offer you the option to choose which cookies to keep or delete.  You could therefore add the cookies for TVGO to  your Cookies to Keep column.

1. In CCleaner, click the Options icon on the left.
  2. Click the Cookies button. The list may take a few seconds to load. You’ll now see a list of cookies from all the browsers you have installed on your system. The left column displays all cookies available to clean and the right column displays a list of Cookies to Keep.
  3. To keep cookies, move them to the Cookies to Keep column by selecting cookies and clicking the right-arrow button. You can select multiple cookies by using CTRL+click, or select a set of cookies in a row by clicking the first one and then SHIFT+ clicking the last one.
Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali