cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

“Another app is currently playing on your Virgin TV box” message

EducatedPork
On our wavelength

Hello!

My V6 had the software update to 360 earlier in the week, and as such I’ve moved from the older TiVo/V6 app on my iPhone/iPad to Virgin TV Go. The app (on both devices) can connect to my box, but it displays a message at the bottom of the display saying “Another app is currently playing on your Virgin TV box”.

The box itself is just playing live TV, and has not had any other apps run on it (Netflix/iPlayer etc). I did wonder if it were complaining about both iPad and iPhone installs of the app being connected at the same time (albeit only with one being in use), but even if I forcibly close any other instances of the Virgin TV Go app (so, for example, it’s only running on my iPhone), I still get this message. 

I’ve tried disconnecting/reconnecting to my box from within the iOS app too - but with no change. Shortly after it connects (successfully) it then displays the message again.

I’ve also tried rebooting the box (power off/on), but with no change in behaviour.. the message still displays after connecting the app to it. The box is running the 4.29 version of the 360 software, 

Any ideas as to what’s going on, and how to resolve it, would be really appreciated. 

Cheers,
Dean

10 REPLIES 10

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’ve seen that occasionally so believe it’s a bug in the app code.

I’ve managed to clear it by disconnecting from the TV 360 then reconnecting and also by exiting the app and restarting it.

It’s not a function I use a lot so it doesn’t concern me. I’m sure it will get fixed sometime.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Rob1979
On our wavelength

I’ve also noticed this, but it only happens when playing BBC channels. It’s fine with any non BBC channels, has anyone else noticed this issues only on certain channels?

Hey @Rob1979

Thanks for posting on our forums about this issue.

Have you been able to stop this happening with the advice that @ernie_C gave on the previous post? 

Regards

Steven_L

Rob1979
On our wavelength

Hi Steven_L,

i’ve tried to re test and I can not connect now to the tv box. It’s just greyed out when I click on the icon next to the magnifying glass, in the the connect to part I can not select the Virgin TV box. I’ve checked this on both iPad and iPhone and it is the same, it was ok an hour ago.

Is there any reported errors? I’ve been having the ‘same network, SSID’ error that many have reported for a few weeks too.

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us Rob1979. Can I ask, have you tried completely removing the app from one or both devices, then rebooting the 360 box to see if that shifts the problem?

I'm unsure which 'same network, SSID' issue you're referring to, can you clarify what the other issue you're having sorry?

Tom

Rob1979
On our wavelength

Hi Tom_F, I've removed the app and re-booted the box then reinstalled. But I still get the attached error, this only happens on BBC channels, so I wonder if it has something to do with how the BBCs red button app/menu works and loads in the background.

IMG_0328 copy.jpg

The other issue I mentioned is that I can not play content record from the box on the iPad or iPhone. They are defiantly on the same network, I've even tested this with 5GHz and 2.4GHz and the app thinks I'm not at home, but I am, see below.

IMG_0329 copy.jpg

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for clarifying. For the SSID issue - have you made sure the Virgin TV Go app has been enabled in the Local Network Privacy settings? (under Settings > Privacy)

For the 'Another app' message, I'd like to see if resetting your registered devices from here helps - I'll get in touch via PM to confirm some details so we can give that a try.

Tom 

Rob1979
On our wavelength

I've since done a bit of testing, and the moment the "Another app is currently playing on your Virgin TV box" message first appears is defiantly as the BBC red button icon loads/appears. I know this because if I scroll through the channels and leave the dialogue box on the screen (the one at the bottom with the channel and program info on) the iPad app works correctly, it shows the message once you clear the tv screen, at which point the red button icon (and I assume app in the background) loads. As I said previously, this only happens on BBC channels, and therefore must be linked to the way their red button / iPlayer app loads in the background.

Roomster
On our wavelength

Hi team, suddenly tonight I've developed the same problem. Another app is currently playing on your Virgin   TV box.

I am using a Surface pro running Win 11 and it was running very well until today, when the box suddenly popped up. The whole page is frozen so I can't do anything with it.

Cheers

Dave.