Menu
avinalaugh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

YouTube apps bypass Web Safe blocking

So here's a thing, I can block youtube.com on web  safe and it blocks browser requests fine, but it still allows any mobile device that's using my Vigin Media broadband wi-fi to access it via the YouTube app (Android in my case).

I also have a Sony Bravia TV with the YouTube app running that's connected to my Virgin media broadband. That also can still access YouTube.

So Virgin Media, what's the URL(s) I need to add to web safe to block YouTube Apps (especially Android) from receiving contact through my Virgin Broadband connection?

Please don't tell me it's not possible or i'm changing provider, and if you tell me to use the YouTube toggles to restrict content (which the child can turn off) then you really are not being serious.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: YouTube apps bypass Web Safe blocking

Maybe try blocking the domains mentioned in this OpenDNS thread, How to block youtube app

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That is a question you need to ask google

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@avinalaugh wrote:

So here's a thing, I can block youtube.com on web  safe and it blocks browser requests fine, but it still allows any mobile device that's using my Vigin Media broadband wi-fi to access it via the YouTube app (Android in my case).

I also have a Sony Bravia TV with the YouTube app running that's connected to my Virgin media broadband. That also can still access YouTube.

So Virgin Media, what's the URL(s) I need to add to web safe to block YouTube Apps (especially Android) from receiving contact through my Virgin Broadband connection?

Please don't tell me it's not possible or i'm changing provider, and if you tell me to use the YouTube toggles to restrict content (which the child can turn off) then you really are not being serious.

How about YOU parent your child instead of expecting VM to do it for you?

Highlighted
avinalaugh
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

How about you stop being a condescending **bleep**. 

You know nothing of the complexity of actively managing broadband safety for tech savvy kids/teens. My daughter is an educated intelligent and well parented child who like 99% of all others is also curious beyond her years and is also only ever one dodgy YouTube recommendation away from the dark side of the web.

ONE (yes one) of the strategies I have to protect her is to ensure that she has no access to YouTube through TV or android devices on the home wi-fi, unfortunately Google doesn't make this easy and to kill it properly you need to block a lot of URL's that also impact other Google services (yes I have figured it out thanks).

I assume that you're a childless gammon who loves the daily mail, or just a troll but frankly I don't give a toss about your assumptions.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@avinalaugh wrote:

How about you stop being a condescending **bleep**. 

You know nothing of the complexity of actively managing broadband safety for tech savvy kids/teens. My daughter is an educated intelligent and well parented child who like 99% of all others is also curious beyond her years and is also only ever one dodgy YouTube recommendation away from the dark side of the web.

ONE (yes one) of the strategies I have to protect her is to ensure that she has no access to YouTube through TV or android devices on the home wi-fi, unfortunately Google doesn't make this easy and to kill it properly you need to block a lot of URL's that also impact other Google services (yes I have figured it out thanks).

I assume that you're a childless gammon who loves the daily mail, or just a troll but frankly I don't give a toss about your assumptions.

Really shouldn't make assumptions about people should you? Ive 5 kids, eldest at home 17, youngest 8. Websafe is switched OFF in our house as I prefer to educate my kids about the content they will encounter on the WWW, and how and why they should self filter. NONE of the strategies I use include blocking anything because, you know, Fahrenheit 451. And yes that includes adult content. For the record if you have a web savvy teen, getting round your precious censorship will take approximately 2 minutes.

Which takes me back to- maybe you should parent YOUR kids instead of expecting VM to do it for you.