Menu
jshovelt
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Websites on Blocked List Not Blocked

Hi,

I have just adjusted my Web Safe setting and explicitly blocked YouTube.com as the children spend far too much time on there. I have clicked 'Apply'. I have closed my browser and re-opened but when I try to access YouTube, it still works. I have tried Chrome and Firefox and I am running Windows 10. Why is the blocked site not blocked?

Thanks,

J

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Websites on Blocked List Not Blocked

Hi jshovelt,

Thank you for reaching out to us,

It can take up to 24 hours for this to take effect, I would advise rebooting the router also.

Kind regards

Paul. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

AFAICS it should not take that long to come into affect, at most minutes if that. Consider trying the following:

• clearing the device's DNS cache; rebooting will achieve the same
  • make sure the device is using the DNS set by the Hub

BTW vigilance is required to make sure that: (a) Child Safe is working as expected; (b) for when your children workaround the block, which they will when appropriately motivated

jshovelt
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your replies, it seems to be working now (the next day). The message that comes up is not very helpful though, it doesn't say that it has been blocked by Web Safe, it just says:

This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.

Try:

• Checking the connection
  • Checking the proxy and firewall
  • Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

Why can't there be a helpful message and a way for me, as a parent, to override the block when required?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi jshovelt,

Thank you for your response. We will feed this back.

Many thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@jshovelt wrote:

Thanks for your replies, it seems to be working now (the next day). The message that comes up is not very helpful though, it doesn't say that it has been blocked by Web Safe, it just says:

This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.

Try:

• Checking the connection
  • Checking the proxy and firewall
  • Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

Why can't there be a helpful message and a way for me, as a parent, to override the block when required?

The way modern web browsers process authenticated connections and how Child Safe works means there is no way to improve the error message; hopefully the feedback will improve the online help to make customers aware of this.

Child Safe is an all or nothing option but if your device supports user specific accounts then you can set it to use a specific DNS, for example Cloudflare, Quad9, …