cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websafe settings no longer having effect

leeatkinson
Tuning in

I have WebSafe ChildSafe enabled, and use it to block websites (including roblox.com). I noticed a few days ago that it stopped blocking any of the sites it is supposed to (including the specific site above, and gambling sites. It is still shown as enabled on the WebSafe website, and Virgin Support was of little use.

How do I report this problem?

40 REPLIES 40

Can you explain how that will show that I'm using Virgin's DNS?

When I resolve protonvpn.com, I get 185.159.159.140 (owned by ProtonVPN). This could indicate that I'm using Virgin's DNS (and ChldSafe is not working) or another DNS server. To confirm, I am using Virgin's DNS servers and the Virgin settings page says that ChildSafe is enabled.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@leeatkinson wrote:

Can you explain how that will show that I'm using Virgin's DNS?

The IP Addresses shown (in bold text below) from nslookup result confirms query is against Virgin Media's DNS at 192.168.4.100:

Server:		194.168.4.100
Address:	194.168.4.100#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	protonvpn.com
Address: 185.159.159.140

The Internet Security team have stated Child Safe is on and whilst that maybe the case it is not working, i.e. resolved IP Address is 185.159.159.140 and not, the expected, 81.99.162.48

You only get that output from nslookup if the client you're running it on is configured with those IP addresses. My clients are configured (via DHCP) to use the router and the router is configured (via DHCP) to use Virgin's. I get 185.159.159.140 even though I'm using Virgin's DNS servers and ChildSafe is on.

While Virgin says that 'ChildSafe is on' it's clearly not working.

Hi Lee,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, sorry to see you are still facing the same issue, I was able to locate you on our system and cannot see any issues other than our Router being on Modem mode which would change the I P address.

Regards

Paul.

I've been running the Virgin hub for a couple of years in modem mode without an issue with WebSafe. The WebSafe issues started a few weeks ago.

Have you been able to check the web safe settings within the Hub's UI leeatkinson? You can access these using the IP address and settings password located on the sticker on the Hub in any browser 🙂

Rob

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

AFAIK Web Safe setting cannot be configured through Hub. 

There are no WebSafe settings in the hub UI (at least, not in modem mode).

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks leeatkinson,

Just to confirm, has your hub been in modem mode the entire time? Websafe settings would only be affective in router mode.

Thanks

Beth

I've been using the hub in modem mode for 5+ years (ever since I hit the maximum number of or wireless clients it could support) and WebSafe has been working all that time (until now).

I don't see why modem mode should affect WebSafe - my Wifi router is still forwarding DNS requests to Virgin's