cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websafe settings no longer having effect

leeatkinson
Tuning in

I have WebSafe ChildSafe enabled, and use it to block websites (including roblox.com). I noticed a few days ago that it stopped blocking any of the sites it is supposed to (including the specific site above, and gambling sites. It is still shown as enabled on the WebSafe website, and Virgin Support was of little use.

How do I report this problem?

40 REPLIES 40

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In that case there is nothing more to do client side and the forum team are best placed to take this forward now.

Hi leeatkinson, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this and for answering and providing the information requested by 用心棒. 

I'm afraid we're at a loss as to why this is happening as all seems OK from our end. 

I'd like to check in with our Internet Security team to see if they have any ideas on what could be the issue but in order to do that I will need to confirm some information with you. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi leeatkinson, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. 

I have referred this over to our Internet Security teams to see if they can assist. Once I have any news from them, I will be in touch. 

Many thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi. Had there been an update? Is there any way to raise this has a proper support case rather than a forum post?  I tried to ring 150 but they could only suggest switching it off an on again. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Referring the matter to the Internet Security team is that “proper support case” and as soon as there is progress the forum team will update this thread.

FYI: alas the phone support has always been basic or, at its worst, nonsensical.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

It's been six weeks and no fix, or update from Virgin. Virgin Media's chat and WhatsApp system is no use.

Hi @leeatkinson

Thanks for taking the time to pop me a private message. I've been off since the beginning of January so haven't been able to update you on this I'm afraid. I have checked things this end and the teams have advised the following: 

'The child safe settings are on and correctly configured. The Websafe is based on DNS at our end but a customer can override those settings by manually setting DNS to be google for example (8.8.8.8) and this will bypass the websafe filter. I would recommend that DNS is checked on the offending devices: This link is a good site that shows you how to do it and more importantly how to undo it.'

Please note that the link is not a Virgin Media link and belongs to a third party so therefore may contain ads / wording not supported by us. We are not responsible for anything on there. 

Please let us know how things go and if you need anything else - you know where we are. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

My devices obtain my router's IP address (via DHCP) as the DNS resolver. My router (Netgear Orbi) obtains Virgin's resolvers (194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100, also via DHCP) and my Virgin Hub is in modem mode.

I have configured ChildSafe to block roblox.com yet if I can visit it on my device without being blocked. If I do an nslookup on one of my devices and (even if I force it to use Virgin's resolvers just to be sure), I get and IP address (128.116.114.3) which, according to https://asnlookup.com/ipv4/128.116.114.3/, is owned by Roblox. This, therefore, suggests that ChildSafe is not working for me.

Hi leeatkinson, 

Thanks again for coming back to us. 

I can only apologise but the teams have done extensive checks and are unable to find any reason why this would be. Everything is working as it should be and is configured correctly at this end. 

There is nothing more we can do I'm afraid. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kath_F wrote:

'The child safe settings are on and correctly configured. The Websafe is based on DNS at our end but a customer can override those settings by manually setting DNS to be google for example (8.8.8.8) and this will bypass the websafe filter. I would recommend that DNS is checked on the offending devices: This link is a good site that shows you how to do it and more importantly how to undo it.'

@leeatkinson, posting the resulting output from the command nslookup protonvpn.com should suffice to show Virgin Media's DNS is in use on device and Child Safe is not blocking access to protonvpn.com; in its default configuration Child Safe blocks access to VPN sites like protonvpn.com