cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websafe not working

Jim541
Joining in

Hi

up until recently the websafe setting has been working fine. However now it doesn’t seem to filter anything even though it is on. 
Any ideas 

tia

21 REPLIES 21

Hi

this is what it says on my phone regarding our home wifi

i don’t understand it but I’m sure you will

Thanks for your help

FC66D4CA-11A0-4005-81F6-2D4322A16B82.jpeg

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you using an iPhone? If so then on the same screenshot page scroll down to the DNS section. Is Configure DNS set to Automatic?

Yes it says automatic 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you select the Configure DNS the next page will show DNS Servers section. What IP Addresses are listed under there? When finished listing select < Back

97FD34DC-CDFE-47CB-9CD7-EBE1B775503F.jpeg

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Those IP Addresses are to Virgin Media's DNS so that cannot be the cause for why Web Safe is not working.

Have you tried turning Child Safe off, applying the change, turning it back on and applying the change before to seeing if that makes a difference?

Hi

Yes that was the first thing I tried 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Issue has been flagged to the forum team who are best placed to investigate further now; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

To summaries findings thus far:

• 1.1.1.1/help is reporting DNS from Akamai technologies and not as would be expected Virgin Media
  • issue is occurring on iPhone with DNS automatically set to 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100
  • Hub is not in modem nor is a third-party router involved
  • My Virgin Media > My Apps > Web Safe reports Child Safe is On; toggling setting has no affect on issue

Ok thanks for all your help

Hi Jim, 

Sorry to hear you are needing support with your Websafe. 

If the main issue is regarding the 'weak security' notice showing on your phone when connecting to WIFI, if you could please read the thread here which explains what the message is, why it appears and how to remove it. 

You mentioned near the top of the thread that Websafe isn't appearing to filter anything, whilst it is appearing as 'ON and active' - can you give any examples of sites it used to filter that it no longer is? Or content it should be filtering that is getting through? This may help us identify where the issue is. 

If you would rather not post this information on a public forum please let me know and I will send you a PM to gather this information instead. 

Let us know how you are getting on! All the best. 

Molly