cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websafe not working

Jim541
Joining in

Hi

up until recently the websafe setting has been working fine. However now it doesn’t seem to filter anything even though it is on. 
Any ideas 

tia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Tia, thank you for reaching out to us, sorry to hear your websafe isn't working, were you able to try what was advised by  用心棒 here?

Regards

Paul.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin Media's Web Safe service relies on use of its DNS for its Child Safe functionality. Is the device on which this issue is occurring using Virgin Media's DNS?

If you open a Command Shell or Terminal window what result does the following command return:

nslookup nordvpn.com

For example, with Web Safe active the resulting output maybe similar to the following :

Server:     192.168.0.1
Address:    192.168.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   nordvpn.com
Address: 81.99.162.48⋮

FYI: default Web Safe configuration blocks access to VPN service provider nordvpn.com

―
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Tia, thank you for reaching out to us, sorry to hear your websafe isn't working, were you able to try what was advised by  用心棒 here?

Regards

Paul.

Thanks for your answer. But I’m afraid I don’t understand what you’re trying to explain at! 
sorry I’m really not computer savvy

Jim

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Instead then try the following…

From the device experiencing the issue open your web browser and go to Cloudflare's help page here, https://1.1.1.1/help/ What value does it show for the AS Name, for example as highlighted below:
2022-01-22.jpeg

Hi

Its says Akamai technologies 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Then it does appear you are not using Virgin's Media DNS any more. Has the device you are testing from recently changed and/or is the Hub in modem mode with your own third-party router attached?

Had a virgin hub 3 for a few years. Haven’t tried altering anything as I wouldn’t have a clue. 
so are you saying the hub isn’t 100% operating as it should?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

it is unlikely the Hub is an issue (DNS cannot be changed on it)

Do other device on your home network have the same issue or is it just the one you are testing from?

I’m not sure. 
Why would the virgin media name not be there now?