cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Safe issue

Dardanus
Tuning in

I was supplied with a new router two days ago after the existing router died.

After installing it I noticed that I now had a feature on my internet called Web safe, which blocked all adult sites through a parental control function.

I found out how to turn this function off, as there are no children in my household, only to find that despite it showing as turned off, it was still blocking all adult websites.

Can anyone help?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dardanus, 

If you check our this link it can provide details on how to do this: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-reset-your-hub

^Martin

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Hi Dardanus,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with this.

I have reset the settings our side and turned Websafe on and off again.

Can you please log into your online account and check the the Websafe settings from there? You'll need to go to my apps > Web Safe and check to see if it's active or not. I appreciate they should match on our side and yours, but I can't seem to understand why you're still unable to view certain sites still.

Let me know how it goes.

Beth

Beth

Hi Dardanus,

Thanks for checking for me and coming back.

I have raised an IT ticket for this issue under the reference: P009978755. Once the team have got me to me to confirm that the problem has been resolved, I'll pop back here to let you know.

Apologies again for the inconvenience caused by this.

You're more than welcome to come back here if you need anything else from us or if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Beth

Beth

22 REPLIES 22

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Web safe function is an account level function not a hub one and should have been active even with your old hub.

Have you restarted your hub since you turned Web safe off?  I believe a restart is required to pickup the change on your account.

If you have restarted it then you need to get someone at VM to switch off Web safe as the web site sometimes fails to do it and needs manual intervention from staff to correct it.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your reply Scott.

Ref your first point, I never had web safe activated at all until after the new router/hub was intalled.

and secondly, I did restart the hub as advised but no change I'm afraid.

I guess all I can do is settle down for a long telephone call to VM with zero confidence that the guy in Manila will even understand my problem.

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As I said the setting is independent of your hub and I'm not aware of anything that happens when a new hub is activated that would turn Web safe on if it was off previously.  By law VM have to switch it on by default for new broadband accounts, but not for new hubs.  Maybe the VM system thought you were a new account holder and switched it on, but it is not normal behaviour AFAIK.

Last I heard the offshore call centres were still closed due to local lock down regulations.  I'd suggest waiting for the forum team to get here and they can turn it off for you.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey Dardanus,

I can see that the feature was turned on at 20:03 on 03/06/20 but then turned off almost straight away, I assume this was by yourself bu this is definitely off.

Please could you try do a pin hole reset holding the button in for around 20 seconds and see if this can remove the restrictions on your hub. Please let me know if this works and if not we can look into this further.

Regards

Steven_L

Stephen, could you please explain this pinhole procedure in detail, as I am not sure what you mean.

Thanks

Hi Dardanus, 

If you check our this link it can provide details on how to do this: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-reset-your-hub

^Martin

Thanks Martin.

I did as instructed and reset the hub.

I waited a while and then went online. Unfortunately nothing has changed,  Child safe is still on despite bring set to off.

Hi Dardanus,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with this.

I have reset the settings our side and turned Websafe on and off again.

Can you please log into your online account and check the the Websafe settings from there? You'll need to go to my apps > Web Safe and check to see if it's active or not. I appreciate they should match on our side and yours, but I can't seem to understand why you're still unable to view certain sites still.

Let me know how it goes.

Beth

Beth

Hello Beth,

I did as you advised, and then tried to access sites with adult content, and just as before these sites were blocked by Child Safe, or in some cases by a screen which said

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to blah blah.com. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Please note that the systen shows that Child Safe is turned off, but it is still operative.