Menu
Stillwater
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin is blocking safe websites. Need advice. (not "web safe" issue)

Hi,

I have a strange issue where Virgin Media is blocking access to safe and secure websites. The websites they block seems to change all the time. Right now I cannot access the the tesco, ebay, facebook or steam servers. I'm able to use a VPN to bypass this so I know the issue has something to do with Virgin. I've done all the hardware resets and double cheked my security settings, but everything seems fine. Does anyone have a suggestions as to why these sites are being blocked?

The message I receive when trying to access these sites looking something like this:

"

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://steamcommunity.com/" on this server.

Reference #18.7ea71002.1609239987.17eda7e5

"

Also where can I find a number to speak to a real human being at virgin? When I call I just get redirected through the automated service.

0 Kudos
Stillwater
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Websites being blocked. Need help (not "web safe" issue).

Hi,

I have a strange issue where Virgin Media is blocking access to safe and secure websites. The websites they block seems to change all the time. Right now I cannot access the tesco, ebay, facebook or steam servers. I'm able to use a VPN to bypass this so I know the issue has something to do with Virgin. I've done all the hardware resets and double cheked my security settings, but everything seems fine. Does anyone have a suggestions as to why these sites are being blocked?

The message I receive when trying to access these sites looks something like this:

"

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://steamcommunity.com/" on this server.

Reference #18.7ea71002.1609239987.17eda7e5

"

Also where can I find a number to speak to a real human being at virgin? When I call I just get redirected through the automated service.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin is blocking safe websites. Need advice. (not "web safe" issue)

that is not virgin media blocking it. Its looks like an akima block.
That is not a VM block message you are getting that from the remote site.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Websites being blocked. Need help (not "web safe" issue).

Do not post duplicate threads about the same problem as its against the forum rules
0 Kudos
Stillwater
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply. So this means my IP address is associated with malicious activity or something? How can I investigate this and verify whatever is going on?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

normally. scan all your devices. once the problem stops it should unblock it in a few days but if the traffic keeps happening you will keep getting blocked
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Stillwater wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. So this means my IP address is associated with malicious activity or something? How can I investigate this and verify whatever is going on?

Site to check if IP is banned by Akamai is here:
https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup/

Hasn't been very reliable recently so you could also try this site:
https://www.ipqualityscore.com/free-ip-lookup-proxy-vpn-test

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
TheOneAndOnlyPa
Just joined
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Same, I can't access beatsaver.com to get custom songs on beat saber and every other son site references them!

0 Kudos