cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin connect app and MAC filtering

SLE68
Joining in

I know questions have been asked about this subject before but I am going around in circles.  We have the hub 3 at home and need to set restrictions around wifi use with my son's devices.  Yes I know I need to look at my parenting skills, and I am, but we do also need to set restrictions in place. The connect app works occasionally but not always . I have uninstalled then reinstalled it but it makes no difference.  MAC filtering seems to work sometimes and not others , either with the same times blocked out each day or scheduling set for different days.  Does anyone have any jargon free advice or guidance please on how we can either get the best out of these systems or start afresh with a new option? Many thanks in advance 🙄

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Which device are you trying to block, as I do know that both iPhones and Android phones allow the user to randomize the hardware address (MAC Address) of the phone so it will bypass the MAC filtering.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Which device are you trying to block, as I do know that both iPhones and Android phones allow the user to randomize the hardware address (MAC Address) of the phone so it will bypass the MAC filtering.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @SLE68 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

When you say you wish to set restrictions, are you referring to websites visited or time related restrictions?  

Regards

Lee_R

Hello thanks for replying.  It's an android phone but also an ipad an xbox and a laptop.  I would be surprised if my son knew how to randomised a mac address(tho you never  know) but when I have checked the mac addresses of the items  they are the same as shown on the router page (apart from the laptop which I had to add manually). 

@Lee_R wrote:

Hi @SLE68 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

When you say you wish to set restrictions, are you referring to websites visited or time related restrictions?  

Regards

Lee_R

Hello thanks for replying.  It is time restrictions that I want . 

Hi there @SLE68

Thank you so much for your post and a huge thank you to @DJ_Shadow1966

Can I ask if you have tried our help page on how to manage setting with the connect app here? There is a section that details how to handle which devices are connected.

Thank you.  

Hello - yes I have checked those pages. It still seems hit and miss. It sounds so straight forward but doesn't always appear to work and sometimes I have to uninstall and reinstall the app as it can't seem to find the Hub. Thanks for asking.

I am trying to add an image of what the advanced settings page looks like when I have added a filter rule but it keeps saying file size too large . Can anyone advise how to add it please as it looks like it has been set up correctly but then hasn't worked again tonight. Thanks very much. 

Have you tried re-sizing the image @SLE86

The Connect App should allow you to pause any devices from having access to the Internet. 

What happens exactly when you try this?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs