cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set internet time limit for child

Lasha
Tuning in
Ive recently grounded my son from all electronics & want to set internet limit to block him completely. Is there a way to do this without cancelling my internet? This needs to be done so he cant get online w/his xbox, tablet, laptop & phone. I want to be able to chose when he can access. Is this possibly?
47 REPLIES 47

Kippies
Alessandro Volta

@coopsowrote:

@Kippieswrote:

If VM provide MAC filtering or WiFi on/off by HUB GUI on HUB3- Kids will use factory reset

Turn the power off automatically by plug in timer/switch / whatever- they'll work round it.

Use Childsafe, they'll change one setting and get round it....

The solution is education and having device free time. End of. Internet access is a privilege not a right as far as the wee ones are concerned. Would you put a TV in their room and complain to the BBC if they are up all night watching it? Obviously not.

Not trying to be clever about, we are in the first throes of the connected world and its up to us older ones to guide the young about what is appropriate use, whether it be content accessed or amount of time spent online. Prohibition never works. Talk to your kids about what they should be accessing, how long they should spend online, and what time is appropriate for devices to be shut off.

Hell do what I do and have "Hudls down time", as their first devices were hudl's so they know that means electronic devices come downstairs and go on charge for tomorrow...

OK, so you don't see the value in this feature.

Meanwhile, other users would like Virgin to deliver functionality which they say they offer, thanks. This thread is about making functionality that is offered actually work as it should do (and used to do in previous hub versions).

Its not that I dont see the value of the feature, its that its fundamentally flawed, and always has been no matter which HUB you used to use. My kids worked round childsafe in minutes and the information on how to is available online. Its trivial to access a "Locked down" HUB and change the settings.  Ive switched the thing off at the mains, and they connected to a neighbors WiFi....the only thing thats worked is education and responsibility on their part. Harder work as a parent for sure, but its what we signed up for....

coopso
On our wavelength

Regardless of the opinion about whether or not (your) kids can work around it, that the function doesn't work is a fact

In my opinion these lectures about parenting, childrens' technical aptitude etc have nothing to do with the issue at hand. They are patronising and what I find most annoying is that they seem to seek to put the onus on the customers who are expecting to get what they pay for, rather than the supplier who is failing to deliver what they said they would. 

Kippies
Alessandro Volta

@coopsowrote:

Regardless of the opinion about whether or not (your) kids can work around it, that the function doesn't work is a fact

In my opinion these lectures about parenting, childrens' technical aptitude etc have nothing to do with the issue at hand. They are patronising and what I find most annoying is that they seem to seek to put the onus on the customers who are expecting to get what they pay for, rather than the supplier who is failing to deliver what they said they would. 

How is it my opinion my kids worked round it?

I really dont get what you are getting so snotty about. The feature never worked in any effective manner, never will. Surely thats a worse scenario that what you present? AND again its not opinion its FACT.

Whether its patronising or not is indeed your opinion, to which you are perfectly entitled. No lecture was given or intended I just pointed out what any educator, researcher, kids charity or anyone with a titter of wit knows- prohibition does not work. It ESPECIALLY does not work when the tools you try to use to enforce YOUR idea of whats appropriate are fundamentally flawed.

Sorry if pointing out the fact that the electronic babysitter you seem to have relied on in the past never did its job properly offends. My bad.

coopso
On our wavelength

Yawn. More lecturing.

sonar69
On our wavelength

Been using superhub 2 parental controls for a couple of years and they work well,do exactly what they say on the tin...VM should sort this on SH3,as they do work as i dont think the the tech or principle is "fundamentally floored"...just sayin

Shafreya
Alessandro Volta
It works as long as the child respects your rules. If they want to get on they will work around it.

Its too easy to get around these kind of controls as a child IF they want to or feel the need to. Kippies is right, education is the way not prohibition.

I had exactly the same issue with my son, I bought kidssafe, bit he hacked into it and disabled it....any router settings you make can easily be reset by pressing the reset button on the hub...

the governmnet net go on and on and in about internet safety  and fears of kids being online 24/7......but do absolutely Nothing to help....they should regulate ISPs to setup FULL parental controls at the ISP NOT on the router or via software.....

its just not good enough.....I emailed my MP and offcom, buy waste of time......gave u,in the end, now he is online gaming till the early hours...gave up due to all the arguing and screaming .......need serious help...

let me know if you find any answers, maybe VIRGIN could lead the way and setup such a scheme, for parents to log into and setup time restrictions..I.e. time online what hours online, with a warning to the user before the internet goes off on a timer......to give time to close the game etc.....would even help with Xbox gaming till the early hours , needs to be selectable by device or total.....this seriously needs sorting, it’s causing so much stress.....even considered giving up the internet as could find no solution 

Very interesting , but if the child presses the reset button on the hub, it’s ALL gone......puff !.,.,also possibly only applies to Wi-fi not Ethernet 

Virgin should lead the way and be the first ISP to setup content filtering controls with Full internet time controls accesavle by the parents, to give them FULL control as to,how long their beloved child can spend online what times what content etc etc etc....

maybr then other ISPs would follow, come on Virgin.......be a leader, d some good....

Anything you/ISPs do (in the general sense) aside from just turning the router off will always be able to be bypassed.

If your kids respect your decisions on the times they will, but what are their consequences for being online late after you’ve said it’s off? If you let them get away with it they will. 

Turning plugs off / taking power cords away for consoles/PCs if the kids don’t respect the rules/you is the way forward IMO.

i don’t want to be rude when I say the onus shouldn’t be on the ISP to have a way (that isn’t bound to the router) to limit the Internet times (it will just get bypassed anyway). It’s a parenting issue. When me and my brother were kids if we were caught on late / being punished our controllers and game boys were taken away for a week. If you leave kids with the tools to do what they want, they will do what they want. If you take away the fundamental way they have of doing what they want in a way that can’t be bypassed, they will soon respect your decisions and what you say as they know there are real term consequences for them.