cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set internet time limit for child

Lasha
Tuning in
Ive recently grounded my son from all electronics & want to set internet limit to block him completely. Is there a way to do this without cancelling my internet? This needs to be done so he cant get online w/his xbox, tablet, laptop & phone. I want to be able to chose when he can access. Is this possibly?
47 REPLIES 47

nigelad
On our wavelength

Hi Shelke,

I came across your advice on MAC filtering to limit access for kids, on several different threads.

I have the original superhub, and appreciated your advice; however I'm having problems.

It seems to me that if my son's PS4 is already connected to the wifi when the curfew time is reached,  the MAC limiter doesn't work.

Will it only block connection for the named device if it attempts to connect after the curfew?

Thanks for any advice.

NIgel

Hi there, 

I have the same problem. 

I've read this thread - and can't really work out what the best thing to do is. 

Did anyone try the app? Did it work? 

And if not, has anyone tried the 'buy another router' option? And if so, can anyone recommend a router to buy? I have borrowed something called a tp-link - anyone tried one? 

And my thanks in advance for all help. I'm ok techically but no, i can't do binary... 

Why is something that is so obviously needed by parents, so ridiculously hard? I think Im going to have to continue unpluggling it removing the damn power supply and hiding it in my room (although I'm told you should keep them plugged in for updates). It's utterly ridiculous to have to resort to this just because internet providers can't provide a simple piece of software to control my hub which should be accessible from my phone.

I agree entirely! I've been asking this question for a year now and still no (easy) way to turn the internet on and off on kids tablets and phones.

It was easy on the old superhubs, so why not the Superhub 3?

It's about time Virgin addressed this problem which is an essential means of limiting internet time for children?

There's a brilliant app for android called securekids.es , it looks like an orange kangaroo or something in the play store. I paid for the full edition, but the free one works if you're only looking to control 1 device/child. You can set any restriction, on any app, at any time, and even time limits per day.... worked for me, now my teen is screen limited to 30mins youtube per day, and it doesn't affect anybody else in the house...

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One problem with nearly all hardware solutions from whatever ISP/manufacturer is a little thing called RESET. Most knowledgeable children just know that all they have to do is press and hold the reset button on the equipment and it is set back to its default state. They have their Internet Access back!!!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

If it goes through the Hub, a timer power socket switch with on and off settings and the Hub plugged into it so that it is only powered on at set times of the day might be a solution.

I got the superhub 3 and was so frustrated with the lack of MAC filtering that I had an engineer reinstate my old superhub 1. 

Its absolutely awful that Virgin can’t be bothered to fix this on the SH3. 

It would be good to have an official response, other than a stalling we’re working on it (from 18months ago). 

If VM provide MAC filtering or WiFi on/off by HUB GUI on HUB3- Kids will use factory reset

Turn the power off automatically by plug in timer/switch / whatever- they'll work round it.

Use Childsafe, they'll change one setting and get round it....

The solution is education and having device free time. End of. Internet access is a privilege not a right as far as the wee ones are concerned. Would you put a TV in their room and complain to the BBC if they are up all night watching it? Obviously not.

Not trying to be clever about, we are in the first throes of the connected world and its up to us older ones to guide the young about what is appropriate use, whether it be content accessed or amount of time spent online. Prohibition never works. Talk to your kids about what they should be accessing, how long they should spend online, and what time is appropriate for devices to be shut off.

Hell do what I do and have "Hudls down time", as their first devices were hudl's so they know that means electronic devices come downstairs and go on charge for tomorrow...

coopso
On our wavelength

@Kippieswrote:

If VM provide MAC filtering or WiFi on/off by HUB GUI on HUB3- Kids will use factory reset

Turn the power off automatically by plug in timer/switch / whatever- they'll work round it.

Use Childsafe, they'll change one setting and get round it....

The solution is education and having device free time. End of. Internet access is a privilege not a right as far as the wee ones are concerned. Would you put a TV in their room and complain to the BBC if they are up all night watching it? Obviously not.

Not trying to be clever about, we are in the first throes of the connected world and its up to us older ones to guide the young about what is appropriate use, whether it be content accessed or amount of time spent online. Prohibition never works. Talk to your kids about what they should be accessing, how long they should spend online, and what time is appropriate for devices to be shut off.

Hell do what I do and have "Hudls down time", as their first devices were hudl's so they know that means electronic devices come downstairs and go on charge for tomorrow...

OK, so you don't see the value in this feature.

Meanwhile, other users would like Virgin to deliver functionality which they say they offer, thanks. This thread is about making functionality that is offered actually work as it should do (and used to do in previous hub versions).