cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe Search Virgin Media compared with BT broadband

IHaveManyMugs
Joining in

After over a decade with Virgin Media, I have now switched over to BT for broadband and I find that the BT broadband SafeSearch feature seems to block every unwanted website.

This is a real eyeopener to me as with Virgin it seems to block nothing and I just thought that we all had to put up with it.

My question is: We still have Virgin mobile. Is there any way I can block access to harmful content on my childrens' phones connected to Virgin mobile?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi IHaveManyMugs, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. I am sorry to hear that such websites are popping through and if they are on Virgin Mobile you will be able to turn on the content control feature. This can be done via the online account under manage services. Have you looked at Kaspersky Safe Kids as this is also an option. Please let is know if you need anything further 

Kind regards 

Chris

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you aren't happy with the default filtering on mobiles, you need to either change network to one you think can do this better, or pay for a third party solution, such as Kaspersky Safe Kids, which is a decent choice and as such solutions go, good value.  For younger children this is a sound approach.

Bear in mind that as kids turn into teenagers and then into older teenagers, controlling and monitoring approaches become progressively less appropriate, and may not do any long term good or even be counterproductive.  With or without filtering, you need to have age-appropriate discussions with them about what is acceptable and what is not, and as they go through teenage years you need to relax some of those rules, difficult though all of that may be.  Having a discussion with a mid-teen son about what sort of things they should and should not look at is cringeingly uncomfortable for all concerned - but if you're not providing guidance that reflects their development into young adults, and relying on software that says "we're in charge, it's all evil", then where will they get guidance?

Hi IHaveManyMugs, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. I am sorry to hear that such websites are popping through and if they are on Virgin Mobile you will be able to turn on the content control feature. This can be done via the online account under manage services. Have you looked at Kaspersky Safe Kids as this is also an option. Please let is know if you need anything further 

Kind regards 

Chris

This is not an insightful answer! Sorry - haha.
I was just expecting someone to tell me what I was doing wrong and which buttons to click, not a parenting manual.
You will know that people get stuck in contracts, so 'go elsewhere' is not useful.
I don't subscribe to 'they will do it anyway' 'I will shirk my responsibility' type of parenting, so I do have age-appropriate discussions.
But OK, thanks for your kind words. Appreciated.
If you live next to a cliff, you can tell your kids not to go near the cliff, or you can move away or put up a fence.

Thanks Chris, very helpful. I will look for the features you have mentioned.

OK, so basically, Parental Controls, even on the mobiles, only work over the WiFi network and not when they are using mobile data.

What's the point of that?

But even on the WiFi network, I can access very hardcore and abusive images within a few clicks. That's with SafeSearch switched on.

Why is this so rubbish in comparison with BT who block everything? I thought we were lumbered with a rubbish service because it was not possible to do it, but if BT can, why can't VirginMedia do it?

HI IHaveManyMugs

Thanks for the feedback 

This is something we will need to go back an pass onto the relevant team for an investigation 

Gareth_L

Your likely not using VM DNS its possible your browser is using other DNS settings go here to check what DNS your using.
https://www.whatsmydnsserver.com/

you can go to phone settings and add DNS to block Malware and Adult Content

Primary DNS: 1.1.1.3
Secondary DNS: 1.0.0.3

Introducing 1.1.1.1 for Families (cloudflare.com)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @IHaveManyMugs thanks for getting back to us.

Have you been able to take/follow the advice of our fantastic community members?  If so, how are things now going for you?

Regards

Lee_R