Menu
Username12
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Parental Controls

Hello, I was reading parental control settings and it said you can 'track to see what you are up to' could someone state what this means?

https://my.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/your-broadband/protect-family/parents/

Here is the link where it says on the last part

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Parental Controls

5. Install parental controls on your computer

Parental controls can filter which websites your children can visit, limit the amount of time they spend on certain sites or programmes and track what they’ve been up to. Remember that if you’re a Virgin Broadband customer you get our Parental Control software as part of Virgin Media Security.

I have flagged your post to the forum team (@ModTeam) who will hopefully be able to clarify the meaning; be aware that it can take them a few days to work through to your post.

Moderator (Retired) John_G
Moderator (Retired)
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Username12,

I don't use the parental control software myself but as far as I'm aware there's no actual tracking program. The site is more alluding to the fact that you can track what your children are watching by seeing the sites that are logged and deciding on access. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Username12
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank  you for telling me could you show me how to track the websites

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Here is VM's guide on using F-Secure Safe: 
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

I don't believe you can track website usage with this software but I may be mistaken ( it's not uncommon Smiley Frustrated )

If you need something more comprehensive you should have a look at K9 Web Protection 
http://www1.k9webprotection.com/ or a similar product.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Username12
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for instructing me how to download  the parental control software. It appears that I don't have this F secure feature. I only have the default parental controls feature such as turning it on or off. Would I still be able to track sites without F secure?

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

For web tracking functionality you will have to use a third party application, one which does provide that option. As noted before, F-Secure Safe does not provide this as an option and neither does WebSafe/ChildSafe.

That's why K9 Web Protection was mentioned as a possible alternative.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

See F-Secure — Family Rules

IMHO it is misleading to state:

5. Install parental controls on your computer

Parental controls can filter which websites your children can visit, limit the amount of time they spend on certain sites or programmes and track what they’ve been up to. Remember that if you’re a Virgin Broadband customer you get our Parental Control software as part of Virgin Media Security.

when it (F-Secure SAFE)  is included for the first 12 months but then costs £25 thereafter.

2018-11-23.jpeg
Source: https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/onlinesecurity/toolkit

Username12
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Is F secure safe automatically activated or do you have to axtivate the first 12 months? (Free)?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Consider trying it first directly from F-Secure and, if suitable, then take advantage of the 12 months free from Virgin Media; read more here: Introducing F-Secure SAFE

0 Kudos