Menu
Alik2009
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Managing children's internet use with hub3

Hi everyone

i am trying to manage my family's internet use. I have a Hub 3, have just installed the new connect app on my phone, but haven't managed to achieve what i'd like to do yet. This is what i'm trying to achieve:-

1) Turning internet off for everybody overnight, say 11pm-7am

2) Turning internet off for certain devices at specific times to make getting kids to bed easier. Teens are sitting big exam this year

3) Manage screen time for my youngest (10) with an overall time limit rather than having to set different limits on each gadget, to stop him coming off one gadget and onto another.

I've spoken to Virgin media several times about this and so far, haven't been offered any viable options. I found the connect app by accident today, and this can potentially allow me to pause internet connection for specific devices which is great, but i'm not sure it's working...

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Managing children's internet use with hub3

Hi Alik2009 welcome to our community forums.

I am happy to hear that you've recently discovered our Connect App, what makes you think the app isn't working for you?

Which hub do you currently have?

Much of what you're wishing to do should be achievable however it would require some setup on your end.

This thread by one of our superusers should be able to point you in the right direction for setting up time limits on internet access. Setting Time Limits

Thanks,
Tom_S

0 Kudos
Alik2009
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tom

we have a Hub 3.

The connect app is working fine now, maybe it was first day wobbles.

I did try doing what that thread suggested with the 192 thing (sorry not technical), but managed to turn our router off completely, resulting in teenage meltdowns as it took me ages to fix and i had to call the helpline to get it sorted. Also, some of the people on that thread suggest it isn't possible with hub 3?

We heard it used it be possible with the superhub 2?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alik2009,

Good to hear it's working fine now. With the Connect app, you can manage the devices connected to your Hub 3, like you can pause devices from using your internet connection. To know more about managing your home WiFi features with the Virgin Media Connect app, check this link. Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks,

Joseph_C

0 Kudos
Alik2009
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, yes i am aware of those features and am using them. This is a big step forward, but the app needs to do more.

a) I need it to turn all gadgets off overnight.

b) i need it to let me manage the screen time of gadgets of one of my children as a 'lump sum' - for example, they have a tablet, a phone and use the family's pc, x box and wii. If i'm not careful, they will spend hours on end going from one gadget to another. I can manage the screen time of his phone and tablet (using the 'Screentime' app), and can use the parental controls on the pc, but i cannot manage an overall screen time for my child. Yes i can do it verbally with him, but say i give him 1.5 hours a day, it would be great if an app could see he has spent 45 mins on the pc, and then alert him that he only has 45 mins left so that he uses it wisely, and when 1.5 hours is up, it tells him he is no longer allowed online and shuts down his gadgets.

Hope this makes sense? I can't help but feel that the technology to do this is out there somewhere....

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alik2009,

Unfortunately that functionality is not available on the Virgin Media Connect app. We're continuously working on making every home secure and protected with our services and make managing them easier. You can also check and try F-Secure SAFE. If there's anything else we can help you with, we're just a post away.

Thanks,

Joseph_C

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Alik2009 wrote:

Thanks, yes i am aware of those features and am using them. This is a big step forward, but the app needs to do more.

a) I need it to turn all gadgets off overnight.

b) i need it to let me manage the screen time of gadgets of one of my children as a 'lump sum' - for example, they have a tablet, a phone and use the family's pc, x box and wii. If i'm not careful, they will spend hours on end going from one gadget to another. I can manage the screen time of his phone and tablet (using the 'Screentime' app), and can use the parental controls on the pc, but i cannot manage an overall screen time for my child. Yes i can do it verbally with him, but say i give him 1.5 hours a day, it would be great if an app could see he has spent 45 mins on the pc, and then alert him that he only has 45 mins left so that he uses it wisely, and when 1.5 hours is up, it tells him he is no longer allowed online and shuts down his gadgets.

Hope this makes sense? I can't help but feel that the technology to do this is out there somewhere....

@Alik2009 The technology is out there in most third party routers, but not so much in the Hub 3.  To get the level of control you are looking for the best option is get your own router and put the Hub 3 into modem mode:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

I have never used the parental controls in my Netgear router (no kids) but I believe Netgear use Circle with Disney on many of their routers, which appears to have options to set time limits and restrict access at certain times.

A quick Google search bring up these lists of best parental control routers:

https://www.lifewire.com/best-parental-control-routers-4160776

https://www.wifiattendance.com/blog/parental-control-routers/

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alik2009
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Scott, i'll have a look at that