Menu
SH3user
Superfast
Message 31 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mac Filtering Hub 3

Same here. Pity you have to join the forum to find out though.

Tudor
Superstar
Message 32 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Why do you think MAC filtering will stop children getting to the Internet? Most savvy ones know it’s just a pin hole reset to get around it.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
radian
Tuning in
Message 33 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Did you stop to think they might not be Savvy or have access to the router to reset it ? Plus you may notice when the router resets if you are savvy yourself....

Diamshill
Joining in
Message 34 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Hi. First post and following up on the MAC filtering issue with the Hub 3 software. Not just the mac filtering but also the ip filtering section. It seems the issue has not been addressed and I am currently spending a couple of hours on the phone trying to get through to someone who actually knows anything about it. So far I have had an engineer round who swapped the hub for a new one; then called tech support who put me through to Gadget Rescue in the US who put me through to tech support who sent me back to Gadget Rescue again who now state they can fix the issue but only on the condition of a subscription fee.

Am not impressed...

I assume others are still experiencing this issue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SH3user
Superfast
Message 35 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Don't waste your time on the Hub3. The functions just don't work and there is no sign of a fix. I had to buy a 3rd party router and use the Hub3 in modem mode to get the functions mac filter and limit time access for the kids devices. I never tried ip filtering but assume that is not functioning also.
0 Kudos
Diamshill
Joining in
Message 36 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. The IP and Port filtering is exactly the same, the hub doesn't reconnect to the internet after changes have been applied and restarting the hub clears the set timings. Apparently the development team are aware of the issue but like you said there is no sign of a fix; these features are also not supported by the support teams.

I do have an additional router somewhere but would have expected this to have been fixed by now.

Other than this issue I am quite happy with the broadband Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
SH3user
Superfast
Message 37 of 45
Flag for a moderator

I agree the VM internet is great just annoying that the hub3 has limited functionality unlike the previous version. If you can get hold of a router from a different supplier like Plusnet then you could try putting the hub3 in modem mode and connect the two via ethernet cable. I have not tried it but there is a post somewhere on this forum that says it works. You can then use the functions you require on the other manufactures router.

More info here  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/Mac-Filtering-Hub-3/td-p/3559938/page/3

Jonny_blagwind
Joining in
Message 38 of 45
Flag for a moderator

That's a real shame we have five children one of whome will stay up all night sneaking onto various devices if we don't block him after 9pm

I have wanted an excuse to buy the new nighthawk router but didn't think this would be it!

0 Kudos
therigler
On our wavelength
Message 39 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I have talked with various support on Virgin about this and the real answer is no! I too have used the Mac filter method with other providers routers' (Talk Talk, BT and Plusnet) with no bother up until Virgins' Hub 3. They have no intention of changing this in the near future and are not willing to provide you with another router. Other than spend your own money on another router, the only answer is to switch provider. 

0 Kudos
ludenscallida
Joining in
Message 40 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Shame on you Virgin Media - this is unacceptable. I will now have to disable all internet just to block one child and this will cost me money. You should not have released this Hub until the issue was resolved. 

When will it be fixed?

0 Kudos