Menu
SH3user
Superfast
Message 21 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mac Filtering Hub 3

I put the VM router in Modem mode and connect my Asus wifi router with an Ethernet cable to use the Asus wifi and its parental controls, monitoring and security features. I did a test earlier today by accident and connected the Ethernet without enabling modem mode on the Hub3. I could connect to the original VM wifi and my Asus wifi. Both worked fine. Give the PlusNet router a go and see what happens.

SH3user
Superfast
Message 22 of 45
Flag for a moderator

I was just going to reply to the Bad Parenting post but it got deleted from the page. Good and good parenting that we are trying. If the kids are using Microsoft devices running W8.1, W10 or Xbox One then you can set time and access limits using Microsoft Family.
therigler
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Will do. Thanks for your help and advice

0 Kudos
therigler
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 45
Flag for a moderator

No good. I'll have to do some more research. I'll certainly be asking for a free router when they bring a new one out. Thanks

0 Kudos
SH3user
Superfast
Message 25 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Don't know the PlusNet setup. Does the router connect directly to a phone line or is it via a separate modem?
0 Kudos
therigler
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Direct. I've now plugged in another router, BT Hub5. It's working well while the Virgin Hub 3 is also still set as a router. As you said earlier, I can now connect to both. The problem is when I switch the Virgin Hub to Modem mode that it all stops working ( well it did with the Plusnet router, I haven't tried with the Bt one yet), I then have to rest the Virgin router in order to get on to the 192 settings page to switch back to router mode. So I think the way round it for me would be to change the wifi password for the Virgin router then the kids have to connect to the BT one which I am able to to set MAC filters. I can't believe the lengths I'm going to.

Regards

Steve

0 Kudos
SH3user
Superfast
Message 27 of 45
Flag for a moderator

My Asus wifi router has a dedicated separate port to connect to the Hub3 when it is in modem mode so you may have to leave yours as a router. Alternatively you can switch the Hub3 wifi off or hide the broadcast ssid and leave it out of modem mode. I hope you find a suitable free solution as I had to fork out over £100 for a function that should have been available on the Hub3 already.
Highlighted
therigler
On our wavelength
Message 28 of 45
Flag for a moderator

My solution. I leave them both as routers but the kids only now have the password for the Plusnet router which has the mac filters on. Peace and calm will be restored. The kids were unable to monitor themselves this week and just proved my point that the wifi needs managing. Thanks again for your help.

Steve

0 Kudos
SH3user
Superfast
Message 29 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Great news Steve. Peace and calm restored.
Hellyb
Joining in
Message 30 of 45
Flag for a moderator

As my new SH3 was installed yesterday, replacing a SH2, I told the engineer I used Mac filtering to control my children’s devices. ‘ No problem’ he said ‘the page looks different but you can still do everything you could before’

no - you can’t. The device is blocked entirely and you cannot set time limits or restrictions 

it doesn’t work and I’m furious. I can now see on this forum it is a long running problem with no sign of resolution 

not satisfactory at all 

Tags (1)