Menu
Klaus1
Joining in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Mac Filtering Hub 3

We have two teenage boys with two xboxes and other gadgets - more fool us!  We want to limit / restrict internet access over night and early morning.  Can't seem to get Mac filtering to work on individual devices without having to turn the whole wifi network off. Is there a way to limit specific devices to the wifi.  Suggestions from Virgin or users much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
SH3user
Superfast
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mac Filtering Hub 3

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/Hub-3-0-Mac-address-timed-access-filtering/...

Me Too. I had to buy a separate router and operate the Hub3 in modem mode. I am using an Asus RT-AC3200 which covers the mac and timed access along with additional site access restrictions and filters for dubious content. It is a little pricy but other wifi routers are available that do a similar job.

higbos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I am reluctant to buy a new router as this used to work on my SuperHub2. 

Any news on it being fixed for the SuperHub 3?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SH3user
Superfast
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I have been asking the same question for over a year now and is the only reason I signed up to this site in the first place. I had to give up and bought a separate router which works great.

Altogal
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I had this question when I joined Virgin in April last year. The answer is it doesn't work. There is a software issue with teh Hub 3 and Virgin care so much about their customers that they don't tell you this. In fact they tell you it will work fine- asI was told when my Hub 3 was installed. If you need filtering of this kind you need to buy another router and just use the Hub 3 as your internet source instead of as a router.

SH3user
Superfast
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Annoying isn't it. The separate wifi router option works fine for me but the MAC blocking/Timed access should have been included on the Hub3 before they released it. No sign of an update so I will keep using the modem mode.

radian
Tuning in
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I've just had a new hub3 and the Mac filtering just blocks things rather than working at specific times like the hub 2 used to. Why do virgin not think to mention this? There's a guide that's total rubbish because it simply doesn't work, you select times then it just blocks the device completely ignoring your selections. 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hello All

First of all apologies, as stated we are aware of the problem, in the meantime there is a workaround discovered by one of our superusers by reserving an IP for a device and then filtering that Set time limit for child

Sincerely hope that helps

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
higbos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

@Nicola_C wrote:

Hello All

First of all apologies, as stated we are aware of the problem, in the meantime there is a workaround discovered by one of our superusers by reserving an IP for a device and then filtering that Set time limit for child

Sincerely hope that helps

Thank you

Hi Nicola

I'll give the workaround a go but is there an estimated fix date for the MAC filtering.

0 Kudos
Klaus1
Joining in
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Yes, work around highly complicated and not guaranteed.  Come on Virgin you can and more importantly should do better than that and get your IT employees on the case.  We have now disabled our VIRGIN WIFI and use an Orbi Router combined with Circle software which is whilst expensive to buy has now solved all our issues:  quick, simple, intuitive.  (But SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN NEEDED!).