cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC Spoofing Block

MmmHo
Joining in

My 13 year old figured out how to change MAC address of his devices every time I paused his connection as he's been up all hours at night. I wouldn't be able to stay awake all night keep stopping a new MAC that comes up.  The HUB is installed in the same room he's using his PC. What can I do to stop his usage during the night when I'm asleep?

9 REPLIES 9

jem101
Superstar

You disconnect the hub and keep it with you at night. Somewhat inconvenient but as you have seen sometimes the ‘nuclear option’ is the only sure-fire way.

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi MmmHo, 

Thanks for posting on our forums about this, I am sorry to hear your Son is too smart for his own good! 

I am afraid there isn't really anything we can do to stop him from using the Hub if it's in his room at night, we don't have any steps to stop a child from using the internet completely - we only have child protection which halts them from viewing inappropriate websites. 

You can have the Hub relocated to somewhere else in the house so it's not in his room, being a temptation for him. However, this will incur a £99 charge as it's a non-fault call out.

Other than this, the only other things I would try is taking away the power supply for his gaming platform or like Jem101 suggested, take the Hub itself away for the night.

Being a Mother myself I can absolutely sympathise with you, kids are getting way too tech smart nowadays!

Good luck with him and stay strong. 

Thanks,

Megan_L 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
A not VM problem and VM should stop adding unless options like MAC filtering when the hub can be reset to remove any you add.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Get him to pay the bill (or a share thereof).  Don't forget the electricity bill either.  A bit of actual reality (instead of virtual) won't hurt his life development.😉

It's not about being smart either.  If your kids can read and understand stuff, then this forum shoots itself in the foot (as does the rest of the internet) by explaining how to do these things.😑

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What you can do is only allow permitted MAC addresses to connect to the hub.

It takes a little while to set up as you have to manually add each devices MAC, but once you've done this, it prevents him from spoofing using any address.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

How do I get into putting in MAC addresses?  I have a hub3. 

Good morning MmmHo

Thanks for posting. Technology has definitley moved on from when I was 13. I wanted to play FIFA all night never mind browse the net haha. 

Please follow this link here to set up the MAC filtering. 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MmmHo wrote:

The HUB is installed in the same room he's using his PC. What can I do to stop his usage during the night when I'm asleep?

Consider using the operating system's:

• account management to set yourself up as administrator and him as a standard user
  • parental controls to restrict his login times

Post back here for further help as and when he figures out ways to circumvent these restriction.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MmmHo wrote:

How do I get into putting in MAC addresses?  I have a hub3. 

Probably a waste of time. As the hub is in his room he can just do a factory reset of the hub to remove any MAC filtering you apply.

I'm with @用心棒 on this one, try setting "screen time" rules in Windows on the PC or go with the nuclear option and remove the hub or PC at night (or the power leads at least).

Also the charge for VM relocating the hub to another room has now been reduced to £25.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks