Menu
SH3user
Dialled in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3.0 Mac address/timed access filtering

Please give us this function back. Are VM working on it? When will it be available? Can I swap the Hub3 for a 2ac without charge? If you can't answer any of these questions then don't bother posting a reply!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hub 3.0 Mac address/timed access filtering

SH3user wrote:

Thank you for a real reply. Unfortunately not having this function does cause family difficulties especially at bedtime. It was a great asset on my old Superhub and the kids knew exactly when they were able to use the internet and when they were not. It is difficult stopping someone waking up in the middle of the night and browsing. Microsoft provide partial access restrictions but I have not found an equivalent for Android, Nintendo and IOS. Blocking access on individual devices at the router would save me from having to remove the fuse from the plug at night as they have figured out the router power switch and cable disconnections that I did before. I will even volunteer to test a version out before it is released if necessary. If I had known that this function was not included then I would never have accepted the Hub3.0 based on the forum posts from responsible people with families. Please consider this plea and pass it further up the chain. Thank you.

ISP hub's will never provide the type of functionality you require as a parent.

You need a 3rd party router, such as one of the high-end Asus models (Asus RT-AC3200 used in this example) that comes with advanced parentals controls, and traffic analysis. https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTAC3200/ It's £160 on Amazon and will solve all your issues now and in the future. 

A friend of mine with kids has this model of Asus. When you can see exactly when a particular device has been online (see Traffic Analyser below) and what app they were using at the time it should be easy to have a discussion with the child about proper use.

You can of course enable the Parental Controls then block certain content, which you will never be able to do with ISP hub's like the Hub 3. It's not just about when they can access the net, but what they can access.

and decide the hours a particular device can be online.

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello SH3user

Apologies that the MAC filtering is not working correctly on the hub 3. Our firmware team are aware and as soon as we have any news we will update the forum. I am sorry but it is not our normal process to replace it with a Superhub 2AC.

Thank you for your patience.

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
SH3user
Dialled in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for a real reply. Unfortunately not having this function does cause family difficulties especially at bedtime. It was a great asset on my old Superhub and the kids knew exactly when they were able to use the internet and when they were not. It is difficult stopping someone waking up in the middle of the night and browsing. Microsoft provide partial access restrictions but I have not found an equivalent for Android, Nintendo and IOS. Blocking access on individual devices at the router would save me from having to remove the fuse from the plug at night as they have figured out the router power switch and cable disconnections that I did before. I will even volunteer to test a version out before it is released if necessary. If I had known that this function was not included then I would never have accepted the Hub3.0 based on the forum posts from responsible people with families. Please consider this plea and pass it further up the chain. Thank you.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey SH3user,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

I appreciate this is a frustrating issue, I'll get this fed-back for you. In the mean time, have you considered a 3rd party router? I know this isn't the ideal resolution but it might help if you want to access advanced filtering options.

Thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

SH3user wrote:

Microsoft provide partial access restrictions but I have not found an equivalent for Android, Nintendo and IOS. 

K9 web protection  works on android, IOS and Windows, is free. you do have to set it up on each device though 

I didn't know you could browse on a Nintendo but surely Nintendo have built-in parental controls ?

PS- you said  "Blocking access on individual devices at the router would save me from having to remove the fuse from the plug at night as they have figured out the router power switch and cable disconnections that I did before" -

you are going about this all wrong - any day now they will realise that Tesco sells fuses....

time to take a course in parenting skills ?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

SH3user wrote:

You need a 3rd party router, such as one of the high-end Asus models (Asus RT-AC3200 used in this example) that comes with advanced parentals controls, and traffic analysis. https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTAC3200/ It's £160 on Amazon and will solve all your issues now and in the future. 

A friend of mine with kids has this model of Asus. When you can see exactly when a particular device has been online (see Traffic Analyser below) and what app they were using at the time it should be easy to have a discussion with the child about proper use.

You can of course enable the Parental Controls then block certain content, which you will never be able to do with ISP hub's like the Hub 3. It's not just about when they can access the net, but what they can access.

and decide the hours a particular device can be online.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

MUD_Wizard wrote:

You need a 3rd party router, .../ It's £160 on Amazon and will solve all your issues now and in the future. 

NOT COMPLETELY, it will not stop the little devils - who have already located the Hub & its switches, from just forcing a reset  to send it back into router mode+ factory settings, then continuing to browse all night, using the default passwords

you can't replace responsible parenting with dumb tech. 

0 Kudos
SH3user
Dialled in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

All I want is Hub 3.0 Mac address/timed access filtering to work. If I have to buy additional equipment I would not want a Hub3.0. Why should I have to spend more money on a router, have additional power sockets installed and waste electricity because of this. The only reason I have not changed ISP is VM have great download speeds. I am appalled that such a high tech company are not investing time and resources to provide this basic function on their equipment. As for the comments on my lack of parenting skills. Try coping with ADHD!

cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

even if timed access worked, a simple-to-do factory reset would wipe out the settings

install hard to break parental controls on each device instead.

otherwise then can at any time disable the gadget wifi &  use the mobile data internet plan instead, for that you will get a very large bill

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

MUD_Wizard wrote:

You need a 3rd party router, .../ It's £160 on Amazon and will solve all your technical issues now and in the future. 

NOT COMPLETELY, it will not stop the little devils - who have already located the Hub & its switches, from just forcing a reset  to send it back into router mode+ factory settings, then continuing to browse all night, using the default passwords

you can't replace responsible parenting with dumb tech. 

I was talking technical issues.. physical security is another matter and just as easy to factory reset a Hub 3 as a 3rd party router.

There are physical locks you can get for ethernet and wall sockets too if you want to go that route.

0 Kudos