Menu
Highlighted
playfair57
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email Contact Is Rubbish

I had a problem with you today. You would not allow me to go to a perfectly safe website. I couldn't get any help on the 150 number which insisted on automatically "testing  my equipment". I knew there was nothing wrong with the equipment but there was nothing I could do as you relentlessly carried out stupid checks which I knew were unnecessary.

Then you said that if there were any future problems with my equipment (which there were not, because there were never any problems in the first place) then please call us back.

Cut off.

I phoned back. This time when I pressed "1" for my own account there was a silence which went on for several minutes and I knew you had another glitch in your phone system.

So I had to hang up.

So I called back, and this time you recognized that this was the second time I had called you and so you allowed me to speak to a person this time.

But I should have been allowed to speak to a person the first time.

You sent me an email from you stating that I had changed my parental controls (I hadn't: I was simply trying to white-list a website which was completely safe which was being blacklisted by Virgin for no apparent reason).

So I replied to your email:

"Your usability is extremely poor.

"In order for my settings to take place I had to reboot my hub, which caused lots of things to go wrong.

"Also dialing 150 is useless in these circumstances. So if anything happens related to web connectivity all your customers are left helpless and feeling very angry towards Virgin, as I am right now.

"But you’ll probably do nothing about it because you don’t need to.

"I wouldn’t even be surprised if this email bounced back to me undelivered because you don’t give a damn."

Sure enough, I got an automated email back from you, saying:

Hello,
Sorry, we do not pick up mails from this mailbox.
If you need to get in touch just go to virgin media.com/contact

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

(BTW, I had to separate out the website link above because your automated editor didn't like its bad spelling!)

So I clicked on your link. It didn't work. It led to a Page Not Found 404 page.

That is how much Virgin Media value their customers "getting in touch".

Virgin Media are in danger of going the way of British Telecom. Virgin isn't in the same league at all as it is, but if it doesn't watch out the gap will close, and Virgin will have people leaving in droves the same as British Telecom is experiencing now.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Contact Is Rubbish

virgin do not have a general contactable email address. companies are not legally required to have one
0 Kudos
playfair57
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

"Not legally required" is the last refuge of a bad supplier.

Perhaps Virgin Media should have a think about what the customer needs, not the minimum in law that you can get away with.

The minimum-that-you-can-get-away-with attitude is not quite good customer (or good business) practice, is it.

But if you think that's a great excuse for bad service then I'm probably not going to be able to change your mind. So I'm not going to try.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

wrote:

"Not legally required" is the last refuge of a bad supplier.

Perhaps Virgin Media should have a think about what the customer needs, not the minimum in law that you can get away with.

The minimum-that-you-can-get-away-with attitude is not quite good customer (or good business) practice, is it.

But if you think that's a great excuse for bad service then I'm probably not going to be able to change your mind. So I'm not going to try.

Customers dont need support by email. Some THINK they do. What they really need is decent 1st line support that answer in an acceptable length of time, access to 2nd line where needed and calls returned when promised. An EFFECTIVE online chat service is a decent backup.

Most large organisations have or are moving away from email support. Its messy, complicated and slow.  Ever tried to contact Amazon by email? Ive worked for 2 large American corporation's , both service sector, both with great reputations for customer support. Neither had external email contacts. The rule was a customer with an issue spoke to a PERSON who could resolve it.

Thats what VM should be aiming for.

playfair57
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

In an ideal world that would work. My web hosting service has live chat which is both fast and efficient. But the company would need to want to implement that. A company that doesn't bother with their email policy is not likely to want to implement better things.

At the moment Virgin Media gets away with things because it knows that BT is much worse. But then that's hardly the attitude.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to look at various points in the OP.

You would not allow me to go to a perfectly safe website.

I'm assuming from this that you are getting either a Virus Safe or Child Safe warning.  Is this correct?  If so there is a reporting link on the page where you can report a false positive.  If on the other hand there is no Warning page but an error message, then the issue may not be a block from Virgin's end but either a routing issue or a block by the website itself.  More information would definitely be useful here.

I couldn't get any help on the 150 number which insisted on automatically "testing  my equipment"

I'm actually in agreement with the OP here.  I think Virgin Media need to look at their phone support.  Not all faults that a user wishes to report are down to DOCSIS errors, automatically testing the connection on every call, and then reporting no problems but call back if you still have an issue is frustrating to users, myself included.  I do wish someone at Virgin Media would stop and think about how they could do things better here.

For me the most frustrating thing about this process is that if the connection tests are done, then they reset the DOCSIS connections for the Modem and Cable TV.  If for example you are reporting an email fault, or an issue with connecting to a single website, this is frustrating and unnecessary.  It should NEVER have been automated for every call IMHO.

You sent me an email from you stating that I had changed my parental controls (I hadn't: I was simply trying to white-list a website which was completely safe which was being blacklisted by Virgin for no apparent reason).

Virgin have dropped the ball here, informational emails such as this normally come from mailboxes that aren't monitored for replies.  However the Web Safe emails do omit the P.S. that's found in some of the other emails that warns customers of this.  @ModTeam Can you pass this on and ask that the this be remedied.

So I clicked on your link. It didn't work. It led to a Page Not Found 404 page.

That shouldn't be happening.  As I've played with Web Safe settings in the past I had a few emails in my box so I sent one to trigger the automatied response.

As expected I got this back

Hello,

Sorry, we do not pick up mails from this mailbox. 

If you need to get in touch just go to virginmedia.com/contact

Kind regards, 
The Virgin Media team

Clicking on the link did work for me, So I'm not sure why you had a problem with it.

The contact us page does have a chat option, but that is currently poorly implemented IMHO, if no agent is available, instead of queuing the user it just simply says Chat is not available, unless you actually Spam the chat button.  Virgin Media do need to review this option if they want to make it work.  Although again I think better one and one phone support is better as you can guage a customers mood better when speaking to them than if you are using text based support.

Companies only have to provide an email address when there are no better ways of contacting them.  Depending on the staffing levels dedicated to answering emails companies may prefer to use other support options.  Indeed while this is primarily a community support forum (aimed at members helping other members)  Virgin do have a presence on here in the form of the Forum Team.  However while they will respond here, it can take them up to 7 days to do so.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.