cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the child safe mode prevent the use of VPNs?

JFK1980
Tuning in

If you turn on the child mode or whatever it is called, does this prevent people from using VPNs on the network?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Yes it is one of the categories that is blocked with child safe.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consider overriding the category block by listing the VPN domain(s) under My Virgin Media > My Apps > Web Safe > Websites

Make sure Advanced Network Error Search is off.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
if someoe knows how to change the DNS they know how to bypass the dns

open command prompt.
nslookup WELL_KNOWN_ADULT_SIDE.com 8.8.8.8
visit returned ip in broswer

Thanks. That's annoying as I need to use a VPN for work to change my location. Is there anyway to over ride this but keep the other aspects of the parental controls running?

@用心棒 wrote:

Consider overriding the category block by listing the VPN domain(s) under My Virgin Media > My Apps > Web Safe > Websites

Make sure Advanced Network Error Search is off.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks. What is the VPN domain? I connect to the VPN via an app on my computer.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Contact the VPN vendor to ask which domains need to be Allowed for their service to work.

Alternatively (as alluded to by apcyberax earlier) use an alternative DNS on the device to bypass Web Safe, for example for Quad9

Anonymous
Not applicable
it wasn't clear you was trying to get a work VPN working. Your question sounded like you wanted to block them using websafe