Menu
Highlighted
Kateetak1970
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Device control for teenagers

I'm thinking of changing to virgin from bt. However I've just read parental controls of screen time are complicated with virgin. I have 4 teenagers and need to limit when they have access (times rather than specific sites). This is super easy with BT but my speeds are v slow. Is it true that with virgin I'd need to buy another router and use the virgin hub plus another in tandem? Seems unbelievable... if I do need this has anyone got any tips about which router/how to do it? I'm not very tech savvy!
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Device control for teenagers

Whilst technically it can be done(ish) with just the equipment provided by VM, a separate router would be MUCH better.

WHICH router totally depends on your budget. If you arent tech savvy at all, theres some routers which have less grunt than the usual suspects we recommend but are easier to use. However most routers now come with at least decent parental controls, and usually an app to set them up . Give us an idea of how much you want to spend, we can make a couple of recommendations.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Whilst technically it can be done(ish) with just the equipment provided by VM, a separate router would be MUCH better.

WHICH router totally depends on your budget. If you arent tech savvy at all, theres some routers which have less grunt than the usual suspects we recommend but are easier to use. However most routers now come with at least decent parental controls, and usually an app to set them up . Give us an idea of how much you want to spend, we can make a couple of recommendations.

0 Kudos
Kateetak1970
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thanks! I'd like to spend as little as possible. the parental controls can be very simple as long as I can restrict the time devices are using the internet. I am happy with what the bt home hub does but the problem is that the max speed BT can give me is 12. I can't get fibre optic from BT. So, any router which doesn't slow down the virgin speeds and can restrict an unlimited number of devices and get my pesky teens reading books!

0 Kudos