cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling Teens Time on Wifi - Parental Controls

zac72
Tuning in

We haven't long joined Virgin Broadband and I have been trying to get my head round the security included with the package.  I have 2 kids, one boy just nearly 18 of whom I do not wish to control his access, but my 15yr old has been sneaking his mobile out in the middle of the night to play games, I then confiscated his mobile after 10pm each night but he is now using his smart TV to access internet during the night - my husband has been getting so cross that he just cuts the power to the hub from 9pm every night, which is annoying to the rest of us who need to use it after this time.  I can't work out a way of just cutting out my 15yr olds access (he has a smart TV as we cannot easily or without massive expense get an aerial/signal to his bedroom for normal TV/Freeview due to the location of his room, we've even tried the portable aerials and none work) , from an internet search I have come across what looks like an US product 'Webcurfew' that on the tin seems to do exactly what I require, but just wondering if anymore with more technical knowledge than me can suggest anything apart from ripping out every piece of entertainment equipment from my son's bedroom!  Many thanks in advance.

22 REPLIES 22

FaxMachine
On our wavelength

I used this on our first SuperHub, worked brilliantly.

Now we have upgraded to Hub 3.0 and cannot see any such facility.

Massive omission by VM - please please bring this back.

FaxMachine
On our wavelength

I am also unable to find this facility on the Hub 3.0, worked great on the original SuperHub.

Need VM to bring this feature back.

Hello
I have a similar issue, wish to block ALL internet wired and wireless, fro a time to a time...every day, then another from a time to a time weekdays only....
Can't do by device as will need to do when son at school as he has his mobile with him...

Need a blanket for all devices really....is there such a thing ? Or can virgin do this at their end on request...

Thanks

There does not seem to be any rush on VM's part to restore these features for HUB3 users...

Likely better with a better router and HUB in modem mode.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Time restrictions for devices are on the Hub 3.0 (with firmware 9.1.116V), although you do have to select all the devices to apply it to, rather than blocking everything except the device listed.

hub3macfiltertime.PNG

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Also you can specifically block devices from connecting to Wireless separately to the timed MAC list:

Hub3WirelessMAC.PNG

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

FaxMachine
On our wavelength

Tried this, but does not work properly, more info here -

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Hub-3-0-Mac-Filtering-Parental-Controls-...

Hopefully VM will fix this soon.

Cheers

Wow, thank you very much for these simple steps. Looking forward to testing I've done it right tonight.

Ive just been tried sorting this on my hub 3.0 sadly virgin dont seem to have pressed the 'Activation' button their end! This feature does not work for us

If you have the HUB 3.0 sadly Virgin have set it up but failed to 'Activate ' it their end! And the tech department have no idea why not!