cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stream just for free channels

Mav1874
Tuning in

I'm a current 360 customer and have a tv I struggle to use as it has no aerial or coaxial and it can't get freeview. This would be an ideal solution for me to be able to get live telly channels to this TV.

Is it possible or likely to be possible to buy a Stream box as a one off? I'd even pay more than the 35 quid for it. I'm not bothered about getting my 360 channels or subscriptions it would just be ideal to get normal telly channels on it. 

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt it. 

Why not get a simple indoor aerial like this for £14 https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9269907?clickSR=slp:term:indoor%20tv%20aerial:11:23:1

Thanks but I've tried 4 different aerials ranging from cheap to very expensive and none will give me any decent reception thanks to the insulation and solid walls in the house. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Mav1874 

Unfortunately the Stream boxes are only available to people that don't already have a VM TV subscription, plus it's limited to one per account.

I would also look at the route suggested by @Anonymous  but would use Amazon to purchase an indoor aerial. If when you try it you find that the reception isn't good enough then you can return it for a refund.

If you have a firestick you could download the main catch up apps such as BBC iPlayer, ITV hub etc and watch live TV that way too via the internet.

You can also watch the freeview channels via a laptop/PC using the  https://www.freeview.co.uk/tv-guide 

It may also be possible to use that method and connect your laptop/PC to your TV using an HDMI lead.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Dereklad
Fibre optic

Your in the same boat as me mav..i need 1 for a ceiling projector upstairs.

forget about stream and get a firestick instead..

Cable tv customer since its inception in the 80,s.
Virgin 360 and mini box.maxit tv.350 broadband.
Playstation 55 inch lg tv and ceiling projector in bedroom..
Size 9 feet..
No criminal convictions.

I dont have a stream box because im not allowed to have 1..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Must still look small on the 5.50 inch LG tv though... 

I've got a Nvidia Shield behind the telly which gets me iPlayer etc same as the fire stick but the Mrs and kids struggle with it and it would be useful to have live telly that can flick channels. I don't understand why Virgin would restrict this to broadband only customers. 

Surely they could allow customers who are paying a fortune for the service to buy any additional tech they come up with. It would certainly help me and with Sky now doing the Glass Puck as a separate, it might make me think about moving at the end of my contract. Although my broadband & phone being down for 5+ days and no timescale for resolution is making me more likely to leave by the day.

The ability to buy a stream separately just helps me stay with VM. I don't get why they would only make it available to broadband only customers, if it's available to them and other people want it, make it available. It just makes me want to cancel VM TV and go to Sky for the TV alone. 

Ohh i get it..5.50 inch lg..

ok ill try change it ,you win..

and yea its a shocker not being able to get a flipping tiny stream box on virgin..

i would have loved to have 1 for my cailing projector..

Cable tv customer since its inception in the 80,s.
Virgin 360 and mini box.maxit tv.350 broadband.
Playstation 55 inch lg tv and ceiling projector in bedroom..
Size 9 feet..
No criminal convictions.

I dont have a stream box because im not allowed to have 1..