cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firestick 4K working fine for months with Virgin broadband, now I cannot connect??

TheOneKadio
Tuning in

I have had an Amazon Firestick 4K Max for around 4 months now and everything has been fine. However, since 8/2/23 it's not connecting. I haven't touched it, changed any settings or anything. It was literally working one minute and the next it wasn't. I've tried hot spotting the Firestick to my phones internet and it works fine. Also, I've connected the Firestick at my girlfriend's house (she has Virgin internet too) and it works fine there as well, it just doesn't work at my house and on my internet (Virgin).

Any suggestions as to what could be causing it to not work all of a sudden???

25 REPLIES 25

Yep, Hub and Firestick are in the same room. 

No, everything else connected to the hub is working fine. I was having an issue with my Mac connecting. It would only connect once I restarted the router but it wouldn't stay connected. Once I logged out of the Mac it would disconnect and I would have to reboot the router for the Mac to connect again. However, it stays connected now (I'm wondering if this has something to do with my Firestick now not connecting, but the fact the other apps work in the Firestick leads me to believe that the Mac's connection has nothing to do with it).

Also, to repeat, the Firestick works perfect when I hot-spot it to my phone and also when I've tried it at other people's homes on their Wi-Fi its working fine. It's just on my Wi-Fi its stopped working properly since Wednesday 8/2/23. 

Thanks

Thank you for that information. To confirm, have you access the hub settings and made any adjustments?

^Martin

No. None at all. It worked fine one minute and the next it didn't. 

Thank you for that information. At this point we can only recommend to contact the technical team for the firestick. 

Have you been able to speak with them already?

^Martin

No, I have not because the Firestick works fine, it has to be an issue with the wifi/internet or else the Firestick wouldn't work as it should everywhere else. Virgin have said they'll have a technician call me within 5 working days, today is the 5th day so let's see if they call.

Thanks.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @TheOneKadio 

It's possible that the firestick has been paused either in the hub or in the VM Connect app.

Have a look in the app and unpause the device if it's listed as paused.

You should also try a pinhole reset of the hub 5. Remove any ethernet cables from the hub 5 and press the reset button for a timed 60 seconds, then leave it reboot fully which can take around 6 or 7 minutes.

I would also look at clearing the cache and storage for.the Connect app

If the app is installed on an Apple device then open Settings > Tap your name > Tap iCloud > Tap Manage Settings > Tap the Connect App > Tap Delete Data. 

And if the app is on an android device then open settings > Apps > Connect App > Storage > Clear data / Clear cache. 

If that doesn't help then try uninstalling the app and then reinstall it.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks Dave but I've done all that. It's not paused in the app and I've reset the router a few times. Nothing changes. How would the Firestick be blocked from the hub, do you mean through the app? It sounded like you were saying there are two ways to block (through the app and through the hub). 

I've cleared the cache too, still nothing. It's bamboozling. 🤷🤦

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @TheOneKadio 

Have you tried the firestick in a different ethernet port?

It sounds like you may have more than one TV in the property since  upstairs you have one pod plugged into the wall on the landing.

If so have you tried the firestick in a different TV in your home?

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I've tried it on the TV upstairs but still doesn't work. In regards to trying a different Ethernet port, the Firestick plugs directly in to an HDMI port in the TV and connects to the internet wireless, unless you purchase an Ethernet adaptor which I have not. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @TheOneKadio 

Are you using the firestick HDMI extender which helps cut out interference from TV's and STB's? (picture below)

Have you tried connecting to the guest network on your hub? Instructions  <<< here >>> 

Have you tried factory resetting your firestick?

1. Press and hold Back and right side of the navigation circle together for 10 seconds.
  2. On the TV screen, choose to continue or cancel the factory reset. If you don't choose, the device resets automatically after several more seconds.

EDIT - Sorry forgot to upload the picture

fs hdmi extender.jpg

Dave
The do's and don'ts.