cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Sport Ultimate not available in 4K HDR?

felty99
Tuning in

Just tuned into the Man City game on BT Sport Ultimate which only seems to be available in HD rather than 4K HDR.

Checked picture settings and switching between 4K and Automatic doesn’t seem to make any difference.

Anyone aware of an alternative Ultimate stream available in better than HD quality?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @felty99 

If you set the Stream box to 1080p then your LG will upscale the images rather than the Stream box.

However, if wanting to watch 4K content in 4K then yuo will need to alter the Stream box settings to 4K to watch that content, and then change it back to 1080p afterwards.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

felty99
Tuning in

Flipping between Ultimate and BTSp1, it’s now clear the former is a 4K SDR stream despite the ‘Quality’ flag within the info screen saying HD vs native HD (SDR) on the latter.

So a decent step up in detail but still a shame there is no HDR stream at 50fps and Atmos, with audio also limited to DD5.1.

The other noticeable thing with picture settings is NOT choosing ‘Automatic’ or ‘4K’ for native HD streams such as BT Sport 1-3 as the box upscaling is poor compared to my LG TV which does a much better job. 1080i or 1080p look at a lot cleaner.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @felty99 

If you set the Stream box to 1080p then your LG will upscale the images rather than the Stream box.

However, if wanting to watch 4K content in 4K then yuo will need to alter the Stream box settings to 4K to watch that content, and then change it back to 1080p afterwards.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks Dave, that tallies with my findings.

I wonder whether it’s worth raising 2 separate issues with VM support and how best to do this:

1) the fact the Ultimate 4K streams are flagged incorrectly as HD, and

2) the lack of an HDR/Dolby Atmos stream on BT Sport Ultimate, which is available through other devices e.g. VM 360 box, ATV, etc.

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff

ATMOS should be available on BT Sport but not HDR

Atmos definitely wasn't available via the Ultimate stream either for the Saturday lunchtime football or premiership rugby on Friday night. The audio was only available via standard 5.1DD.
Can you escalate from here? Also, why 4K but no HDR?

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff

Because we dont get an HDR stream from BT.

I'll ask about ATMOS

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff

just one thing, are you saying that it's only BT Sport Ultimate that doesnt have ATMOS or all BT Sport channels?

Thank you. Is there any chance to ask if an HDR stream might be available soon, given Sky have just announced 4K HDR/ ATMOS streams and broadcasts on their versions of BT Sport Ultimate?

Just Ultimate as the other BT Sport channels are limited to vanilla Dolby Digital 5.1/2.0 depending on the broadcast.