cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any plans to allow existing TV customers to get a Stream?

txom11
Tuning in

Hi

Does anyone know if there are plans to allow existing Virgin TV customers to get a Stream box at some point? I would love to use one for a second TV upstairs. I can't connect the TV to an aerial for Freeview channels and I can't run a coaxial cable to it from our Virgin wall outlet for a Mini box.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff

Stream from Virgin Media is more of a proposition, rather than a box.  That proposition wont ever be compatible with our core TV bundles.

However the hardware itself has been used elsewhere as a multiroom box around the home. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff

Stream from Virgin Media is more of a proposition, rather than a box.  That proposition wont ever be compatible with our core TV bundles.

However the hardware itself has been used elsewhere as a multiroom box around the home. 

Dereklad
Fibre optic

Same here..

i could do with one for my ceiling projector upstairs.

i dont get the not compatible thing..

its just a streaming box over wifi.

Cable tv customer since its inception in the 80,s.
Virgin 360 and mini box.maxit tv.350 broadband.
Playstation 55 inch lg tv and ceiling projector in bedroom..
Size 9 feet..
No criminal convictions.

I dont have a stream box because im not allowed to have 1..

BlueLou
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
it's not just a streaming box over wifi though is it? It's an entirely different propositon.

on 360, channels, Sports and even Netflix come bundled in with the package and are contracted for 18 months, if that's what customers want. If you take everything it's always going to be cheapest if you do it this way.

On Stream those channels, sports and apps can be added to your broadband bill, but are only 30 days rolling contracts. There is also a 10% Stream credit that is calculated based on the value of all your subscriptions. This is better for those that want flexibility with their entertainment.

You can't have one of these things in one room, and one in another.

However, as I have mentioned multiple times before, the Stream box is based on hardware that has been used before as a multiroom solution to 360. So who knows?

Thanks for the quick responses. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I can't imagine that I am alone in wanting a way to watch live TV channels on a second TV that I can't hardwire to either an aerial or my Virgin outlet. The various catch-up and streaming apps are less important as there are countless other options for accessing those, but it would be great to be able to watch, for example, the BT Sport channels I get via Virgin on a second TV.

Combining Stream with a 360 box would also mean that I am not 100% dependent on the internet for watching live TV channels.

I'd love to ditch my upstairs hardwired virgin box and just use this to access my downstairs 360 recordings - surely this is going to be a feature?

@txom11 wrote:

Combining Stream with a 360 box would also mean that I am not 100% dependent on the internet for watching live TV channels.

...how so???

With Stream, you are totally dependant on the internet - if you lose internet, you wont be able to watch anything on it (which isn't the case with 360) !

@deans6571 wrote:

@txom11 wrote:

...how so???

With Stream, you are totally dependant on the internet - if you lose internet, you wont be able to watch anything on it (which isn't the case with 360) !

I wasn't very clear, sorry. I meant that if I could use a Stream box for one TV and a 360 box on a different TV, I wouldn't be 100% dependent on the internet. I was trying to make the point that offering customers both would be better than making them choose between them.

Dereklad
Fibre optic

There is going to be a massive amount of tv subscribers that want this box.

me personally have 360 downstairs, great box no complaints,but a cinema and ceiling projector upstairs in bedroom.

this box would be perfect.

its gotta happen.

Cable tv customer since its inception in the 80,s.
Virgin 360 and mini box.maxit tv.350 broadband.
Playstation 55 inch lg tv and ceiling projector in bedroom..
Size 9 feet..
No criminal convictions.

I dont have a stream box because im not allowed to have 1..

stoo_77
Dialled in

Apparently it has happened around Europe where the same box has been used as an answer for multiroom over wifi?! and the cost was at 3.99euros P/M extra.  All we can do is wait and see and keep hoping, as a LOT of people would be very interested (Me included) and hopefully at the similar pricepoint!

==================
Broadband:- VIVID 200
TV:- Mix Tv (Tivo V6)
Phone:- Talk More Anytime
Mobile:- 2 x 12month sim