Menu
stally
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

wireless speed full 200mbps Ethernet unable to go past 110

Ok i've got to the point of giving up on calling helpline number as they just put me thru the same process over and over again here's my story and hopefully someone will help me.

I used to have just broadband only thru virgin then upgraded to tv too in December then realised i wasn't getting my full speed like i used to on my 2 pc's but still getting 200mb thru wireless.

So when thru several phone calls reset this change that ect to the point of an engineer coming out he then did his thing changed some settings in the cab and then saying it could only be the router (SH2) so changed for hub 3 which i didnt want because so many issues with them.

So after the swap over still no change to my and his surprise he then said the only thing is my pc's and said he would come back in a few weeks with his laptop which he did not.

So things ive tried and done are with both pc's:-

made sure cat6 cable (from virgin media) plugged directly into pc.

checked Ethernet driver upto date and able to run 1gb connection

checked speed and duplex set to auto negotiation 

tried in safe mode with networking 

disabling anti virus and firewall  

different web browser 

So im all out of ideas and unsure how wireless can be faster than wired? please help me.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: wireless speed full 200mbps Ethernet unable to go past 110

This has a familiar ring to it.  There has been at least one recent thread concerning the Hub 3's losing the Gigabit negotiation on ethernet ports and falling back to 10/100 speeds.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
stally
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks and glad i'm not the only person however this did begin on the Hub 2 😕

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

To properly check the speeds coming in to your Hub  (and whether they match what you should be getting)  you need to do this. 

Make sure your device has a gigabit network card with up to date drivers.  Use a new Cat6a ethernet cable to connect it to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your device is connected).  Then boot up your device into "safe mode" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds) and run the test at speedtest.net on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download (e.g. Opera?).

Try that and see if that gets it to 200+

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
goslow
Up to speed
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

In the other thread referred to (which might possibly be this one)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/SH3-Fails-to-Maintain-Gbit-Ethernet-Connect...

the OP was able to get his package download speed of 200 Mb/s after rebooting the hub only to find that some time later it falls back to <100 Mb/s but occasionally recovers again on its own only to fall back again.

You've already done a lot of sensible, logical testing. The story sounds very familiar and similar to many other posts on the forums (sadly with no solid and reliable resolution in many cases).

Have you ever been able to get the 200 Mb/s speed at any time with the SH3 at all (straight after a SH3 reboot say)?

Have you tried the hub in modem mode with one single PC connection only to SH3?

Can you then try one PC at a time in modem mode (which might help confirm if both PCs can/cannot rceive the expected speeds)?

0 Kudos
stally
Tuning in
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to both prompt replies i just tried the modem only mode with just 1 pc connected at a time using a new fresh browser (opera) in safe mode with no luck of any improvement unfortunately i dont have or need cat 6a or above cable as i managed to get 200+ before even on my cat 5e trust me the cable is not the problem here.

it seems the only logical solution for this is to downgrade my package to not be paying for something im not using which saddens me due to the fact it worked before fine.

0 Kudos
Blueyonderer
Dialled in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

This is a weird one, right enough but it got me thinking...

You say that the problems started on your previous hub which would rule out the hub itself as being the source of the issue.

A CAT6 cable is more than capable of carrying 200Mb but cable types above CAT5 are very susceptible to dropping speeds if they're bent too sharply around corners, etc. so check that the cable is running as straight as possible between the two devices.

Paradoxically, if you do need to route around sharp bends a CAT5E cable will likely do a better job since it is far more tolerant to bending.

Worth a try?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

logic says it cannot be settings as you are getting 200 via wifi but no harm in checking

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

what colour are the lights on the lan connections both on the hub and the connected pc

have you tried more than one lan cable

Tony
0 Kudos
stally
Tuning in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

worth a try for sure however this is a brand new 2m cable from vm and sits right next to the pc so no corners or long trails thanks tho 

0 Kudos
Blueyonderer
Dialled in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Dang... back to the drawing board!

0 Kudos