cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi speed test

Rudis
Tuning in

Hi Virgin community, I'm wondering can someone help me here. I have M200 broadband, when I do a speed test I've always got around 218 always over the 200, today I do a test and I am getting below 100, 97 to be precise. I phoned Virgin and they said you will always get around 50%, this has left me confused because speed tests always gave me 200+, I was assured by Virgin that this is correct, my question is why am I paying for 200 and only getting half that? I said I may as well drop my broadband package to 100 and I was then told you'll get 50% of that, this is crazy, imagine that in any other service or product were you pay for half of what you get. Can someone put me in the picture here, I feel as if I'm missing something or not understanding how this works, many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will not get any guarantees that WiFi will work at the speeds you pay for due to many factors that are outside the ISPs control.

I liken it to a motorway. Your car can go at 70MPH, but you share that motorway with a lot of other cars, & if it gets congested & you end up going at 30MPH its not the cars fault.

WiFi is a shared resource with all your neighbours hubs. The more hubs using the channels the slower your connection gets. WiFi is also affected by its position & the makeup of the building.

VM are only responsible for wired speeds. If you test with a wired device & get the speed you pay for then Virgin are fulfilling their obligations.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You will not get any guarantees that WiFi will work at the speeds you pay for due to many factors that are outside the ISPs control.

I liken it to a motorway. Your car can go at 70MPH, but you share that motorway with a lot of other cars, & if it gets congested & you end up going at 30MPH its not the cars fault.

WiFi is a shared resource with all your neighbours hubs. The more hubs using the channels the slower your connection gets. WiFi is also affected by its position & the makeup of the building.

VM are only responsible for wired speeds. If you test with a wired device & get the speed you pay for then Virgin are fulfilling their obligations.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate your insight

And, of course, the advice from 'technical support' and we can use the terms 'technical' and 'support' in their loosest possible meanings, was indeed a load of made up nonsense. Still; got you off the phone and they chalk up another successfully closed call - so high fives all round there then!

Incidentally the 97 Mb/s is somewhat suggestive, are you just using the Hub itself for WiFi? And other routers, wifi access points or extenders?

For each speed product VM provides three speeds. For example, for M200 you get:

Advertised Speed: 213 Mbps
Expected Speed Range: 213 - 218 Mbps
Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed: 107 Mbps

And this is what VM says about ending your contract:

"If the download speeds to your the Virgin Media Hub falls below our minimum download speed guarantee for three consecutive days (continuously or intermittently) and we’re unable to fix the problem within 30 days, you may be able to leave your contract without paying an early disconnection fee."

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Rudis, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the Wi-Fi connection, this is not the experience which we want you to have with us. Would you be able to confirm how things are at the moment and if there is still an issue?  ^Chris.