cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why so slow?

Nealbrooker
Joining in

I pay for 213mbps but I only get between 60-80 maximum. 

Also I am paying £125 per month for a package I see Virgin is offering new customers for £38 per month. I am not even getting what I pay for.

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What Hub model is it (on its base sticker)? You pay for ~200Mbps delivered to the Hub and out of it on ethernet cable connected devices. Wifi is only guaranteed if you have WifiMax - and then only to 20mpbs.

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

So see this

On what device ? Is it capable of receiving the higher speeds - many old ones arent?

Are you connected on wifi or ethernet?

If ethernet then the cable may have failed and defaulted to 10/100 speeds. Try a new Cat5e/6 one.

Or the Network card may have done the same - check in its network settings.

If wifi - a shift from connecting on 5GHz to 2.4GHz would result in that speed drop - so can you check that too?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Nealbrooker, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with your speeds. 

Checking our systems, I can see all is looking well with the Hub in terms of power levels, uptime and time outs. There are no faults open that may be affecting you either. 

We can see that all your devices are connecting via WiFi. There are so many things that can influence a WiFi connection some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here: WiFi Help

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

• Out in the open
  • Next to the TV not behind it
  • Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)
  • Away from baby monitors and cordless phones

Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 

If that doesn't help, you can download our Connect App which will allow you to scan areas of your home and will offer help. You can view more information on that here

Finally, you can view more about our new WiFi Max service here

Please keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs