Menu
Highlighted
Madmonkee
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

vivid 350 used to be fast 370mb + now its below 100mbs

Hi there

As title internet speeds have drastically dropped.  We had the service interrupted recently due to "new build houses" in the area being patched in circa 14 days ago.  Now I have had x2 visits from engineers saying I had reported a fault and now its been fixed, even though I hadn't reported anything?  This prompted me to check the speeds... low and behold... my vivid 350 is no longer superfast.

I have done all the normal, power cycle... check cables etc.. It still remains low speed outside of normal hours (2am in the morning for example).

Area reference 7.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: vivid 350 used to be fats 370mb + now its below 100mbs

Are you using a wired Ethernet connection to the VM hub or a wireless connection? Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the best way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve. It also helps to pinpoint if the issue is with the wireless or your line.

If wired speeds are slow then some hub stats would be helpful.

If you go to http://192.168.0.1/ (or http://192.168.100.1/ if you are in modem mode) to get the VM hub GUI. Don't login (unless you have a Hub 3 and this is your first visit to the hub GUI, which does require you to login) but instead click on Router Status which is either a button in the top right of the screen or a text link at the bottom of the screen depending on which hub you have. Click on the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log sections and copy & paste the figures from those screens and post them here, don't worry about the formatting or you can post screenshots if that is easier. Be careful to edit out or obscure any reference to your WAN IP or MAC address in the log to protect your privacy.

The community can have a look for you and see if anything in the figures looks wrong and advise accordingly. Or you can wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread in a few days.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Madmonkee
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: vivid 350 used to be fast 370mb + now its below 100mbs

status.jpgstatus1.jpgstatus2.jpg

Hi there, thanks for the Modem mode login info Smiley Happy very useful.

So it does look like I have an issue somewhere here, been having errors since 10/04/2019.

I cannot see an actual "connected at" text anywhere.  (used to ADSL Smiley Happy )

0 Kudos
Madmonkee
Joining in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

oh and its wired connection from the Hub3 in modem mode to an Asus AC68U. Wireless and all that is fine, its the actual connection that's super slow. (turned off all QOS bandwidth limits etc, currently in "game mode"). Normally I am way above 350mb even when busy... not today Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Mart280
Dialled in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Same as what I've been getting, was told X, Y and Z I was even told by Virgin Media when I called yesterday that it was a problem with my PC which is rubbish as I built the thing myself high spec then they tried to blame my Smartphones which were connected to it, I just looked at your Network report I've been getting the same RS errors and partial service, has your hub been flashing green recently to? As mine has done that for over 5 hours, wait for Admin to turn up they will sort it and get an engineer out to inspect, it's a problem with the Network not your tech.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Madmonkee wrote:

Hi there, thanks for the Modem mode login info Smiley Happy very useful.

So it does look like I have an issue somewhere here, been having errors since 10/04/2019.

I cannot see an actual "connected at" text anywhere.  (used to ADSL Smiley Happy )

Most logs have errors, mine is full of T3 ones but my connection is working just fine.  The type and frequency of the errors is what makes a difference.  You won't see a "connected at" message, but you can tell when the hub restarts and connects as it usually post messages with a date stamp of 1970.

The "RCS Partial Service" error could be a problem if it happens regularly, but otherwise the hub should recover from them and carry on operating normally.

You haven't posted the Downstream & Upstream channel figures that show the power levels.  The screens you posted show that it is configured for 350Mbps but not the current status of the channels.  If you can post all the figures from the Downstream and Upstream tabs then I can check if the power levels are within the recommended ranges.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Madmonkee
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGupstream.PNG

There ya go boss.  As for the dropping of the light - flashing green... not noticed as i was unawares of any issues until engineer tipped up yesterday saying I had a fault Smiley Happy so started checking it out.  There is a fault registered to my post code as I have tried to ring them.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Mart280 wrote:

Same as what I've been getting, was told X, Y and Z I was even told by Virgin Media when I called yesterday that it was a problem with my PC which is rubbish as I built the thing myself high spec then they tried to blame my Smartphones which were connected to it, I just looked at your Network report I've been getting the same RS errors and partial service, has your hub been flashing green recently to? As mine has done that for over 5 hours, wait for Admin to turn up they will sort it and get an engineer out to inspect, it's a problem with the Network not your tech.

@Mart280 Had a quick look at your thread and the figures you posted and your log is very different to @Madmonkee's as far as I can see.  You have multiple "RCS Partial Service" errors which is a sure sign of a line fault and does need VM to investigate.

0 Kudos
Madmonkee
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

cheers fella, so @Mart he needs VM to pop out?   VM tipped up yesterday and said I had a "red light" on something outside, which was since reset.  I had a fluctuating ping when playing a game yesterday to which alerted me to start to investigate, my lines are less than a year old.  But were messed around with when they plumbed in the new housing estate

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Madmonkee wrote:

There ya go boss.  As for the dropping of the light - flashing green... not noticed as i was unawares of any issues until engineer tipped up yesterday saying I had a fault Smiley Happy so started checking it out.  There is a fault registered to my post code as I have tried to ring them.

I'm fairly sure the issue that Mart280 has is not identical to your issue.  Yes you have the same package and yes you both have slow speeds, but there can be multiple reasons for slow downs.

Power levels are looking OK, the Upstream levels are close to the bottom of the recommended range at 31.75 (a bug in the latest hub firmware has put the decimal point in the wrong place) but as long as they are above 31 it should be OK.

If there is an area fault then unfortunately you will have to wait until that is fixed as VM's systems will prevent the booking of engineer visits until the area fault is resolved.  Not that I can see conclusive evidence that an engineer visit is needed at this time.

If things don't improve once the area fault is resolved then post back here with the latest power levels and log.

Personally I would run a test direct to the hub in modem mode and rule out the Asus, VM staff will ask you to do that when they get to this thread.

0 Kudos