cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upload speed throttling?

Kendalli
Tuning in

Ok, so why does my download speed consistently run at 10% of "normal" when I'm accessing via my work vpn - Pulse?

Example 10am 8/7/21 200mb connection

via uswitch broadband speed checker

no vpn download speed 150.9mb, upload 19.4mb

with vpn download speed 11.6mb, upload 9.3mb

I accept that access via vpn adds a further level of encryption and therefore slowdown, but 90% seems excessive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

100Mb is a reasonable figure for those services. You have the correct way forward.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

What speeds do you get connecting to web sites using a different VPN such as NordVPN or ExpressVPN?

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Not really relevant as tied to Pulse to access work files.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Why do you post here if you don't want help?

It will establish whether this is a general problem with VPNs on your connection or something specific to Pulse. 

But I'm out now.

- jpeg1

I now understand the contact of your question.

Short answer is they throttle by about 1/3, so 100mb not 150mb.

Does suggest an issue with Pulse and/or config of Pulse on laptop.

Strange how the work IT staff blames Virgin!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

100Mb is a reasonable figure for those services. You have the correct way forward.

- jpeg1

Thanks

@Kendalli wrote:

I now understand the contact of your question.

Short answer is they throttle by about 1/3, so 100mb not 150mb.

Does suggest an issue with Pulse and/or config of Pulse on laptop.

Strange how the work IT staff blames Virgin!

That's what IT departments do.

When you connect via VPN is all Internet traffic routed via that? (A simple trace route will confirm that).
If so, what bandwidth limitations do your IT department put on routing back out to the Internet? These types of connections make double use of the works Internet.
Also, what bandwidth does your company have on it's Internet connection and what per connection limits do they have?