cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to Hub 1G to Desktop 400-500

Politegpig66
On our wavelength

Hi there.

I am looking for any ideas as to what might be the problem.

Have 1gig for approx a year, about 6 months ago it started just going half that speed. Things go in the way and I didn't really do much about it.

However, I have had engineers out and cable changed, no difference.

Went from Modem mode to Orbi mesh back to Router on the hub 4.

Doing real Sam knows speed I get 1gig to hub but only 300/500 to desktop connected via cat 6 Ethernet.

I have changed the cables. rebooted, deleted Intel network card , removed any internet optimization software and back to default.

Still no difference. I have tried on another desktop and same difference.

Any ideas anyone? cheers Rich

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Politegpig66

Try this...

Open your Command Prompt in Administrator mode.

Then type the following and make sure you hit Return after each line.

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Then type:

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

Finally, restart your computer and any restrictions made by your operating system will be cleared.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

echelom
Fibre optic

Personally, I would have thought running a 1Gb Hub 4.0 on a CAT 6.0 cable is really bordering on the speed that a CAT 6 will operate.

I have CAT 7 cables, however, at first, I thought my Hub 4.0 was not working correctly. I had two different brands of CAT 7 cables, one could only handle up to 600Hz, whereas it should have been around 750Hz. 

Once I got all CAT 7 cables changed to the higher 750Hz type everything worked fine on all 4 ethernet ports.

Hope that helps.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
CAT6 is fine for 1Gb

Connect a PC to the hub in modem mode with your router/mesh power off hub for 2mins power on and test speed.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Surely, it would be better to future-proof network cables these days. The infrastructures are changing at a very fast rate. 

Even my V6 box uses CAT 7.0... hardware changes a lot, I would rather change my inferior cables to decent high bandwidth ones now than end up with more problems in the future.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

There's no harm in using Cat 7 for future proofing, but you'll have to replace all your equipment before you'll need anything better than Cat6.  The cable will be the least of your upgrade problems.

Replacing Cat 6 with Cat 7 will not cure the OP's problem - unless of course the particular cable was faulty.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Eeeps
Well-informed

In order to identify where your problem lies you need to initially remove as many pieces of equipment as possible.

As @legacy1 says, connect both of your desktops directly to the hub with a short cat5e or better cable. Initially do this in router mode and use SamKnows real speed.

Try this test with different computers and different cables.
Then try the test again in modem mode directly to the computers.

Also run 'netstat -e -s -p IP' from a command prompt to get your ethernet stats. Post here.

Could you also expand on how you have your Hub4, Ori and desktops connected?

c/o Amazon I had some fresh Cat 7 delivered today. Same difference.

worth the little effort trying new cat7 cables, but no same diff.

Hi there,

I have had Hub 4 to Orbi RBK753, then Orbi to Gig capable switch. (lights up green) then a cable to pc.

All cat 6 and today cat 7.

Then the other method was Hub 4 in Router mode, with 1 cable connected to PC (cat 6 earlier today now cat 7 just in case)

distance from Hub and all switches etc is less than 3m.

Still just getting half speed. 

@Politegpig66

Try this...

Open your Command Prompt in Administrator mode.

Then type the following and make sure you hit Return after each line.

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Then type:

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

Finally, restart your computer and any restrictions made by your operating system will be cleared.