Menu
Geoff_UK
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

thinking of coming back

Hi,

I was a VM customer for many years and got lured away by BT infinity - currently get a solid 66Mbps down and 19Mbps up.

VM just offered me 200Mbps down and 12Mbps up (inc TV and phone) for £34 a month - same as I pay for Infinity 2 and phone.

Not all that interested in the TV as I am under contract to Sky Q and we're very happy with it - was asking if I could have Virgin TV box in another room and they said "yes, of course" - problem is, they then said the superhub MUST be connected to the TV box - I had assumed 2 coax cables - one to the TV box and one to the superhub.  It would cause me cable routing issues if the superhub needed to be connected to the TV box?

Also, will the superhub work in "modem only" mode ?

I used to be on a 60Mbps service when I was with VM about 5 years ago - always used to get what I paid for - upload was rubbish, at only 3Mbps.

Is this a case of "grass is greener" or should I run away - lol

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: thinking of coming back

Superhub works in model only mode.

you are just getting tempted to switch by new customer deals which is the aim of the industry right now Smiley Tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
ILuvNips
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Before jumping ship I would seriously ask any neighbours if they are with Virgin to see what speeds they actually get and what the overall performance is like. The upload speeds are still only a small fraction of the upload speeds, on 100mbs you’ll get 6mbs upload so if uploads is a priority then something to bear in mind.

Also , something else worth bearing in mind is that even if your neighbours report good speeds, VM are over reaching their network capabilities in terms of over selling so if you’re unfortunate enough to be in area afflicted then it might take literally years before they do anything to fix the issue, that is if they fix it at all. I’m on my 3rd over utilisation issue, had it since last August with review dates that just get pushed back. I’ve personally had enough, just recently renewed my contract unfortunately so am looking for a way out without penalties as believe it or not even if they know they aren’t providing the service you are paying for they make it ultra hard to leave penalty free. 

In HA7. Billing Area 21.
Utilisation Fault
F003502423: Review Dates -> 07/10/2015 -> 02/12/2015 -> 20/01/2016 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy
Utilisation Fault F004873444: Review Dates -> 29/03/2017 Smiley Sad -> Closed Smiley Happy
Utilisation Fault F005506920: Review Dates -> 09/08/2017 -> 08/06/2018 -> 13/06/2018 -> 11/07/2018 -> 12/09/2018 -> 29/05/2019 Smiley Sad -> Open Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
NMJToolbox
Up to speed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I second ILuvNips comment.  I am in one of their 'project lightning' areas (where they are aggressively expanding into new cabled areas).  I joined in July last year and took their TV & Broadband (VIVID200).  I was getting pretty good speeds (between 140-200mbit) for 10 months and 2 weeks ago all of a sudden my Superhub rebooted at 8:54am and since then I get anything between 0.5mbit to 40mbit down.  After 3 calls to offshore 'customer service', 2 chat sessions and an engineer visit I was simply left with an answer 'over-utilisation problem'. 

I called Virgin specifically asking for an 'F' number and fix date.  Was given 1st June.  OK, I can wait..... 1st June comes, still bad.  Went on chat again and found out they had now put the date back to 27th June.  I have no confidence in VM fixing this on the 27th.  To say we are a new leg of VM and within 11 months they have outstripped capacity of a new network is laughable.  Poor management, planning & customer care. 

Luckily I'm approaching the end of my contract so have a get out plan if they do not fix this.  I have already phoned Sky and having that installed on Thursday so VM have lost my TV.  Broadband next I suspect.  I know that have faster speeds advertised than BT based providers but I would rather have a cheaper, slower but more stable connection than what Virgin currently supply.

F006248376 'fix' date 27/06 currently, Area 14 S60 if anyone is interested...  

S60 Area 14
Utilisation Fault: F006248376
Fix: 01/06/2018 - missed
Fix: 27/06/2018 - Fixed 9/6/18
0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is your speed bad at all times? Utilisation problems tend to build up over a long period, with speeds gradually declining over several months. The fact that it was fine until the hub rebooted makes this sound like something else, unless they switched your area over to an already overloaded system, but I can't see why they would do that.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@cje85 wrote:

Is your speed bad at all times? Utilisation problems tend to build up over a long period, with speeds gradually declining over several months. The fact that it was fine until the hub rebooted makes this sound like something else, unless they switched your area over to an already overloaded system, but I can't see why they would do that.

They would do it so they could upgrade another area. Take turns piggybacking till they are both done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
NMJToolbox
Up to speed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, bad at all times and it was Virgin themselves who told me it is a utilisation issue and the F number.  Had it confirmed by retentions (who I called to find out the notice needed and when my contract ends, which is 7th July).

S60 Area 14
0 Kudos
Geoff_UK
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the responses - much appreciated. 

In reality, I don’t “need” anything faster than I’ve got with infinity 2 - I can stream 4K content off Netflix and it does everything I want.  Might just stay put and negotiate a decent price when my contract ends  

What’s the situation regarding the superhub plugging into the TV box ?

cheers

0 Kudos
NMJToolbox
Up to speed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you are happy with the speed and service (no slowdowns/outages) then stay on infiniti.  It seems to be a lottery with Virgin at the moment.  I'm sure the vast majority are happy with their Virgin connection (like I was) - but if you are one of the unlucky ones that has problems (like I am now) - especially utilisation issues then you are stuck, VM don't care and you will count the days until you can leave.  Just re-negotiate your price, my neighbour got a deal he was very happy with on BT so they do have wiggle room.

The V6 box just plugs into your router's ethernet or connected to your wifi.

S60 Area 14
0 Kudos