cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

speed upgrade

martip
On our wavelength

OK, this morning (21/01/2022) I have allegedly negotiated a speed upgrade from the basic 100Mbps to 200Mbps.

Testing the speed this afternoon (21/01/2022) using various sites, I am seeing 20Mbps upload, which is to be expected with the revised package, but our download speed is still showing at below 100Mbps ( 75 - 81)

A reset of the Hub3 has made no difference, the device used to speedcheck is directly cabled to the hub. 

Why, when a check of the package in our Virgin Media account shows an instant increase in charge, has the download speed not been similarly upgraded with such enthusiasm?!?! 

Thoughts VM please.

Broadband / Phone
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK a couple of things. Your UP is at 20 - so that implies the upgrade has been applied - but to double check log into the "Configuration data" file in the settings and check in the Downstream "Max Data Transfer Rate" box it starts 2nnnnnn.... (its in bps).

If it does - change the ethernet cable for a new Cat6a (preferably) cable and test again. Also check in the network settings that the device's drivers are up to date and that the NIC card hasnt reset its default speed to 100mbs rather than 1GB.

If it still low do it this way.

Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Both will upgrade at the same time.

Is your 80 down ... on wifi connected devices or also on ethernet cable connected ones - if you dont know can you check?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

martip
On our wavelength

John,

Thank you for your reply.

As I mentioned in the OP, the device used to test the speed is directly wired to the hub3 (i.e. ethernet cabled)

Martin

Broadband / Phone

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK a couple of things. Your UP is at 20 - so that implies the upgrade has been applied - but to double check log into the "Configuration data" file in the settings and check in the Downstream "Max Data Transfer Rate" box it starts 2nnnnnn.... (its in bps).

If it does - change the ethernet cable for a new Cat6a (preferably) cable and test again. Also check in the network settings that the device's drivers are up to date and that the NIC card hasnt reset its default speed to 100mbs rather than 1GB.

If it still low do it this way.

Connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

martip
On our wavelength

John,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

OK I will try all of your suggestions over the weekend.

Martin

Broadband / Phone

martip
On our wavelength

John,

Well now, I feel quite silly 🙄

After putting the Hub3 into modem mode and testing, as before, with two separate devices, and using my usual speedcheck site I was still getting lower downstream speeds than expected! (75 - 85ish)

Trying a different site (https://www.broadbandspeedtest.org.uk/) I get the expected 200Mbps downstream speed!!

Returning the Hub3 to router mode and allowing to settle, I get the expected 200Mbs using that site!

So, really egg-on-face time I think 😳 I'll get my coat.......

Thanks for your time John.

Broadband / Phone

martip
On our wavelength

Just a caveat,

Using your suggested site John, I only get around 112 - 118 Mbps, so it seems VERY dependent on which test site we use!!

Martin

Broadband / Phone

Hi @martip, sorry to hear you were having issues with your download speed. 

We are however happy to see that the issue has been resolved. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help and we will be happy to assist.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs