cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow speed

juststeve
Up to speed

DEF886B9-E6F7-4F0D-8600-40D07F788243.pngHi,

I have been having slow speeds for quite sometime now, I have just recently received a wifi pod, which doesn't seem to have helped!

Sometimes the internet seems to drop out completely, I have gone into the router settings, run the diagnostics page and it always states that my network as a few problems, but it doesn't say what problems!

I have attached a photo for information. Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You should be able to get a cheap(ish) USB or Thunderbolt ethernet adaptor.  Just make sure it's gigabit capable.  A length of Cat 6a ethernet cable would also be a good investment for your "stuff" drawer.  I keep a 30 meter one handy, just in case!   VM always insist on wired tests, so one to bear in mind.

As for cabling, yes agree it can be messy, but I'm old school, and anything I have with an ethernet port is wired.  🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi juststeve,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry for any issues you're having with your Broadband speed. 

To confirm, is this on just a Wireless connection or is it also affecting a Wired connection?

Can you confirm the devices you have connected to the hub? And if they are on a Wired or Wireless connection?

^Martin

Hi,
Sorry for late reply.

The slow speeds are on all wireless devices.

I have only one device connected the the hub by Ethernet, which is the TiVo box, all the others are WiFi connected, which includes my iPhone, iPad, TV, surround sound amp, Blu-ray player, Apple TV, security camera and several other smart home devices, in total I have 18 devices connected the the super hub 3.

I should be getting up to 500mb speeds but I’m getting max of 150mb.

The hub is quite old now though, maybe it just wearing out! Just like me! LOL!

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do not guarantee wifi speeds, only wired directly to the Hub.  Can you test wired?

If you have a Pod, I believe you can't split the SSID and manually set the wifi devices to the best band.  You may find it's your own wifi devices are slowing down the speeds.  If you have many devices they all have to share the same wifi space and this can lead to speed degrdation.

If you can, I would suggest connecting some of the devices to ethernet where possible.

It may be you would be better off with the Hub in modem mode and supply your own MIMO wifi solution. 

Note - If offered, do not upgrade your speed package as a solution.  It will not be any better for wifi.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks very much for your reply, I’ll try and measure the speeds on my MacBook, but there is no Ethernet connection on the MacBook, but I’ll check on the internet on how I can do that, also there are only 4 Ethernet ports on the super hub.

The main reason I’m using WiFi is because I don’t want loads of cables trailing all over the place! But I will try and measure the speed on my MacBook and I’ll let you know.

Thanks again for your input, must appreciated. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You should be able to get a cheap(ish) USB or Thunderbolt ethernet adaptor.  Just make sure it's gigabit capable.  A length of Cat 6a ethernet cable would also be a good investment for your "stuff" drawer.  I keep a 30 meter one handy, just in case!   VM always insist on wired tests, so one to bear in mind.

As for cabling, yes agree it can be messy, but I'm old school, and anything I have with an ethernet port is wired.  🙂