cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow internet in the evening

samcowie
On our wavelength

Hello, 

I am a new customer of Virgin media and have been experiencing extremely slow speeds in the evening after 6 pm. Throughout the day I get 110mbps+ but in the evening it drops as low as 4mbps. 

I have called up Virgin Media and they cleared congestion on my line which seemed to fix the problem for a few days but it is back to being unusable again.

I have setup BQM after reading through a few posts on the forum:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/af536ab6da0f5f40d71900dd576eacabb405e227

samcowie_0-1632167460917.png

As you can see it appears I am dropping packets regularly and got a maximum latency spike around 8 pm. 

Can anyone help me with my problem? 

12 REPLIES 12

samcowie
On our wavelength

samcowie_0-1641747659251.png

Incredibly slow all weekend and the download/upload speed has been really poor... Honestly don't know what to do 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do not double post.  It make is very hard to keep track of your thread.

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small area faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Try a full 60 second factory reset as below;

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

Once done, post your power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and Network log.  Do not use screenshots, just copy and paste the text.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for coming back to us @samcowie.

I have been able to locate your account but cannot see any issues with your connection to the network or hub and there are no issues in your local area. The system however has identified that some of your devices are heavy users of the network and is causing congestion across your WiFi network.

We can offer you a WiFi pod to help resolve the issues but there would be a £5 per month charge for this, would you like to take us up on this pod offer?

Regards,

Steven_L