cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no docsis 3.1 channel locked on new 1gb install today

rotahn
On our wavelength

Hi all..

Installed the hub 4 today and am only getting 530mb ish down and 52mb up... so up is working fine.

looking at the network status it shows that it isn't locked to the docsis 3.1 channel only the 32 docsis 3.0 channels.

Can a mod please help me with this.  I ran the check on the website which said everythring is fine, which it clearly isnt.  I ran a speed test using myspeedcheck.net and the results are below, which are consistant no matter how many times i run it.

rotahn_0-1639349909032.png

rotahn_1-1639349935819.png

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Ping - virgin
30 REPLIES 30

rotahn
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply.

While I am glad to see you guys have come up against this issue before, I am a little concerned that you haven't managed to resolve the issue.

What timescales am I looking at here?

What about my bill in the mean time? I will not pay for a service which is clearly not technically possible to receive.

Perhaps downgrade my broadband to the next one down for 24/48 hours and then revert back to 1gb. It really does look like a config issue rather than a hardware issue.

The latest email reply from your engineer is that he is pushing it up to his manager as nobody knows how to fix it.

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anonymous
Not applicable

Small point of order: @jem101 it is possible to get gigabit without the 3.1 channel - just need there to not be many folks using the rest of the 1.6 Gbit/s the 32 3.0 channels provide.

A while back a cable company sold gigabit over 3.0.

rotahn
On our wavelength

While it maybe technically possible in certain network setups, it isn't possible on virgin media's network given contention ratio.

So you are both correct.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It isn't possible in your area for most of the day but in others would work fine. There have been users on this very forum seeing gigabit a good part of the time via 3.0 only. 

VM do not have a set contention ratio. That's an outdated concept that disappeared from basically everywhere a while ago.

People would probably go crazy if they knew how high the ratios would be if they were calculated now.

Anyway... 

jhuk
Trouble shooter

I had this issue so have others, it went missing but was there at time of upgrade and came back sometime alter after my complaints after the usual blaming the issue inside the home and needing an engineer which I refused which was all replaced for the 1Gb/s upgrade to  the main cable coming in including the little box.

Speed will be up and down, mostly down even to single figures but you CAN hit 1GB/s without it and I have shown that in my screenshots (you can check my account photos and posts as I am too lazy right now to look it up.

rotahn
On our wavelength

it isn't possible at my house what ever time of the day.  I even tried at 2am in the morning and i still only get around 550! lol  😂

jhuk
Trouble shooter

Yea I believe you but just the I keep seeing "You cannot ever get 1Gb/s without it" comments, at least you get 3 figures, mine was worse and was only faster around 12-4am.

rotahn
On our wavelength

@Kath_F

Hi Kath,

Hope you had a good xmas.  Can you tell me if there is any movement on my issue in relation to its resolution.

Have  great new year.

Thanks

Hi rotahn, 

Thanks for your post requesting an update. 

As it stands, I have emailed the Area Field Manager regarding this as we've had some conflicting information. Due to the time of year, it may take a few days for them to get back to me but as soon as they do I will pop back to you with an update. 

Apologies for the delay. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

rotahn
On our wavelength

Hi there,

What conflicting information? I'm not sure what it could be.  The engineer found a fault and tried to report it and I am still suffering with the same fault from the date of the upgrade, which I am still paying for by the way.

I had two texts the other week from virgin media, the first was inform me of a possible interruption of service due to planned works on Monday,  then on the friday, another saying that the work had been cancelled. Clearly someone found something that needs fixing, then cancelled the work.

I am sorry to say that I am now starting to get a little annoyed.