Menu
Highlighted
ianp1965
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

luddite with poor speed issue

Having looked at several of the threads on speed issues I think Im likely to be way out of my depth so please be gentle.

Im on the Mix bundle with only 100Mbps this is usually sufficient, but wifi has become unusable.

Using an ethernet cable it can take over 20 mins to get a speed test to run. 

I have run speed tests at various times in the day using an ethernet cable and the results are always poor. Even at 5AM I scored:  Ping 20ms, download 0.2Mbps and upload of 0.62 Mbps.

The Virgin media page says it would be helpful to add my Hub’s power levels and network log but Im afraid I have no idea how to do that.

Help

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: luddite with poor speed issue

So some basics first. What Hub model do you have? - it is printed on the base sticker. Have you tried a new Cat5e/6 ethernet cable - old ones can "fail". Have you tried a "pinhole reset" of the Hub to see if that helps? Also, check all your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing. Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.
Come back and we can get more detailed.
Or, jump straight in with this...
In your web browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon/text either at the top right or at bottom middle - of first page up (depending on which hub you have) and then copy/paste 3 FULL sets of data onto here – from the downstream, upstream, & network logs Pages. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out or erase them.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
ianp1965
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank You.

Its the SuperHub 2.

I have checked all connections. Don't have a second ethernet cable to swap in (will get one for tomorrow)

Haven't done a pinhole reset so far but will do now.

When I open the 192.168.0.1 I get 3 icons;

WiFi network settings, Super Hub Settings and Device Connection Status

none of them seem to give me the sort of data you describe.  Just a summary of devices connected and for how long.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have the SH2 too.  You should see this when you go to the Hub page at http://192.168.100.1/.    Click on where the arrow points (router status).   You will see the second image - click where the 3 arrows point and copy paste or screen shot the data.  In the logs you need to erase the MAC addresses.

Screenshot 2019-06-23 at 21.44.07.png

Screenshot 2019-06-23 at 21.38.31.png

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

just realised - if you are not "seeing" the "router status" option (top right) it means you have never logged into the Hub before. So click on the Super Hub settings option and then log in (password on base sticker). I cant remember.... but you may need to then change the settings password save changes and logout - reboot the Hub to then see the page I showed.
If you do that make sure you remember the new password !!

--------------------
0 Kudos
ianp1965
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ah I had already signed in which is why I couldn't see the icon you meant.

0 Kudos
ianp1965
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

THANK YOU !!! to all. 

Trurns out all that was needed was the pin reset. 

My download speed has gone from around 0.5 Mbps to 52 Mbps

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

52 is still not brilliant if you are supposed to be getting 100, so I would not rule,out you still having some problems. If you find the time, can you post up the network logs and statistics and we can tak a look for you and see if there's anything glaringly obvious.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is that 52mbps on wifi or with your new ethernet cable ?
What device (make/model) are you testing on ?

--------------------
0 Kudos
ianp1965
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That's 53 Mbps on wifi and 64 Mbps on cable.  and that's at 6:30 pm eg peak usage time.

I will try and copy / paste those logs too.

0 Kudos