cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low download speeds on desktop

Thedesertrocker
Joining in

I am on the m100 package but i very rarely do i get anywhere close to that, probably average around 20 mbps throughout the day. 

I have a main desktop which right now is 5.31 mbps download and a 2.32 upload and its currently 20 past 12 in the morning (there goes fair usage out the window) 

whenever i call up, i get the usualy bs of switch it off then back on or they have changed the channel, and the speeds slightly improve for a while but reverts back to these slow speeds. 

Any thoughts. 

right now i have 2 devices operating the broadband right now, an ipad that is streaming and this desktop. 

the desktop runs on wifi and is in the room above the where the router is (this would effect the signal however dropping it down to such low speeds i find hard to believe)

thank you 

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.

Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Thedesertrocker, thank for your post and sorry you're having some issues with your speeds.

I've checked your account and there are no issues with signal or power levels, as well as any other faults I can identify relating to the network.

What I have noticed, is that it's been a few days since you've rebooted so it's definitely worth trying a pinhole reset. This will revert your Hub settings (such as SSID and password) back to default, so just be prepared for that.

Our diagnotics have identified that some of your devices are situated too close to the Hub, so could be causing some interference with the wifi. If you can, definitely try and connect devices via ethernet where possible as this'll help eliminate that interference as well as providing that particular device(s) with the guaranteed speeds.

I know you've mentioned the desktop is above where the router is and not in the same room, but just check if the desktop is on the 2.4ghz or on the 5ghz? Ideally, only devices in the same room as the router should be on the 5ghz frequency. Even though the 5ghz is a faster frequency, the signal usually doesn't penetrate walls/doors/roofs very well, which could be a reason behind the low speeds. The 2.4ghz is slower, but the signal range is greater - they compensate each other very well that way.

Please let me know if you need any further help and you can find some more information here too.

Cheers

Tom_W